Ab, d?

actually, at 500w, i worry less about a/b vs d, less about efficiency, and more about the sound quality that the manufacturer/line has. when you get to higher powers, then efficiency plays a huge role. there are many amps that don't have good processing and power supply tech as others. for subs, the class d output is really no different than class a/b once choked through the output inductor it has, where the difference lies, that most people think is the fault of class d is in other parts of the circuit.

Good point about 500W and efficiency. At 500W I too would be more concerned about SQ over the efficiency of Class D. Although on subwoofer duty, it is very hard to tell the 2 apart. For full range, definitely stick with A/B unless you can afford a JL HD series or Apline PDX amp.

I'm looking at the JX1000/1D - JL Audio Monoblock 1000W RMS Class D Amplifier to power my sub. It's really only 500 rms at 4 ohms. The sub I have in mind is the Focal P30 which only handles 300 rms but I'd rather underpower an amp than over power it. reading around on here seems clipping is an issue.

Will now consider AB for components.

Look at Boston Acoustics Amps, all of their products are sq oriented and perform as well or better than their competitors. Their subs are very under rated, not sure about the amps, but I do know they do rated power at the minimum.

4 ohm load. Wouldn't dampening be the opposite of SQ? When I think dampening I think listening to music from one house over... or talking through a towel... diluted waveform with highs scrubbed out. There is much I can learn.

What are the benefits of 2 channel bridged?

4 ohm load. Wouldn't dampening be the opposite of SQ? When I think dampening I think listening to music from one house over... or talking through a towel... diluted waveform with highs scrubbed out. There is much I can learn.
What are the benefits of 2 channel bridged?
99% of the time it's the cheaper option to get a 2ch and bridge it for more power @ 4 ohms then to get a large mono block

it's much cheaper to buy a 2channel then a mono at 4ohms.

and no that's not what dampening is. Dampening is the amplifiers ability to control cone movement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

musical_high

10+ year member
musical_high
United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from