A Bigger Batcap, A Deep Cycle Battery, or both?

fireplace369

Hi.

My sound system is currently a little above 1200W with one sub amp (this is accounting for amp inefficiency) and will eventually be about 1900W (One sub amp and one speaker amp; again accounting for inefficiency).

I have a XStatic Model 400 batcap (rated up to 1300W) on my system now (which worked fine when my last amp was around 650W. My lights dimmed heavily with no batcap when I had that amp, hence why I got it), but now that I have twice the power, my lights are dimming very heavily again. The dimming occurs whenever the sub fires at all (short kick drum burst and long heavy bass notes).

Although my alternator is fully functioning and rated at 130A, I have a small car with a smaller regular battery.

I am stuck between buying a larger batcap from XStatic, specifically the Model 2000, which they say is 60% battery and 40% capacitor, or buying a deep cycle battery such as a OPTIMA yellow top or a XS Power D6500 to fix this problem and to be able to run my current and future system continuously for a good period of time (an hour or two) with no issues.

In addition, I would like to know if a regular deep cycle battery works well powering an amp that just runs regular speakers (6.5", 6x9", etc.) or if everything would be better wiring a deep cycle battery for power storage and then wiring a batcap solely for the discharge together. (To my knowledge, it seems the way to go is wire my batcap to a deep cycle battery and wire only my sub amp to the batcap and run my amp for regular speakers directly to the deep cycle battery).

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just got the x8800. I'll be doing some testing soon. The x200 has a higher esr. I'd look into the full throttle batteries. Found one with an esr of 2.2mOhm. The lower the better the discharge capacity and discharge rate.

The x8800 is 1.8mOhm..

If you wanted too get another batcap grab the 800..

I just got the x8800. I'll be doing some testing soon. The x200 has a higher esr. I'd look into the full throttle batteries. Found one with an esr of 2.2mOhm. The lower the better the discharge capacity and discharge rate. The x8800 is 1.8mOhm..

If you wanted too get another batcap grab the 800..
That's what I'm trying to determine. Would a half batcap/half battery like the Xstatic products (model 800, 2000, 3000, etc.) be better, or should I just get a large deep cycle battery (OPTIMA yellow top, XS D3400, XS D6500, etc.) to power my system?

Also, would deep cycle batteries discharge quickly enough to power an amp that would be powering regular 6.5", 6x9", etc. sized speakers? I plan on keeping my Xstatic Model 400 so I can have quick discharge for my subwoofer amp since I assume that would be better.

That's what I'm trying to determine. Would a half batcap/half battery like the Xstatic products (model 800, 2000, 3000, etc.) be better, or should I just get a large deep cycle battery (OPTIMA yellow top, XS D3400, XS D6500, etc.) to power my system?
Also, would deep cycle batteries discharge quickly enough to power an amp that would be powering regular 6.5", 6x9", etc. sized speakers? I plan on keeping my Xstatic Model 400 so I can have quick discharge for my subwoofer amp since I assume that would be better.
Car off off deep cycle. Music/burps. Low esr battery/cap bank

Did you upgrade your big 3?I would start there

Is your front battery really old?
I have not done the big 3, and no my front battery isn't old. It's a Diehard Gold Deep Cycle with 600CCA and a RC of 100 (those are the only specs I can find).

I'm at the point now where I think I may have to upgrade my alternator because my system will be at 1900W (accounting for amp inefficiency) which pulls 130A. My alternator is only rated at 130A and since roughly half that powers the rest of the car, I can feed only roughly 65A in total.

Upgrading my alternator and doing the big 3 I mean.

upgrade wiring, see what that does for you

after that get a HO alternator

and after that get either a 2nd battery or a bank of caps but i dont think you'll need to go that far

your 130a alternator isnt putting out 130a at idle hot, probably 80-100a cold

dont waste your money on an optima yellowtop, they're chinese garbage now living off the old name. sams club duracall agm or other rebranded versions of that same battery (deka, etc), or XS power

batcap is overpriced

Big 3, biggest agm battery you can get underhood and ho alt if available/within budget.

Word on the street is the X2 Power batteries sold at Batteries Plus are rebranded Northstars. They come with a 5yr FREE replacement warranty. Batteries plus has a 10% off code when you buy online and pick up in store and some of the marine X2 Power batts have mail in rebates.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.