A/B vs. D

You might want to consider your sound quality when selecting between the A/B and D class amps. The A/B amps are continous power supplies while the D class is a pulsed power supply.

The D amps dont draw as much current since they turn off and on but it has been debated that this creates low sound quality while the A/B's constant power gives you better sound.

I have never personally owned a D class amp so I cant say what they sound like but if you look you will so there arent any D class amps to speak of on peoples seperates. The D class usually just shows up for subs and in street machines or SPL vehicles. Very few people use them in a SQ application.

Just some food for thought.

Lots of people confuse class D with "subwoofer only", which isn't the case. Full range class D amplifiers are suitable for high frequency applications..

-Bill-

lookin to power 1 18". i think ill get it. dont remember the last time i used an A/B class amp tho.

Why don't you just get a 1606D or something of that nature? About the same power @ same impediance, a little cheaper and a class D. I'm pretty sure the AutoTek is an A/B amp.

-Bill-

You might want to consider your sound quality when selecting between the A/B and D class amps. The A/B amps are continous power supplies while the D class is a pulsed power supply.
The D amps dont draw as much current since they turn off and on but it has been debated that this creates low sound quality while the A/B's constant power gives you better sound.

I have never personally owned a D class amp so I cant say what they sound like but if you look you will so there arent any D class amps to speak of on peoples seperates. The D class usually just shows up for subs and in street machines or SPL vehicles. Very few people use them in a SQ application.

Just some food for thought.
You sir are miss guided. There are alot of full range Class D's on the Market that are just as good as running A/B up front. Let's see Alpine PDX just to name one. Your statments are way to generalized and are only debatable without proof of any kind. This topic of AB vs. D has been going on forever and some very knowledgable car audio people have never been able to agree on it. Some of your info is correct.

I have ran both off and on for gee I don't know 15+ years. I have never been able to hear the difference. You must have golden ears or something.

dB-SPL-You are fine running either one. The class D will be more effecient and generally a smaller foot print. You will not hear a difference though between the two especailly on a sub.

I have ran both off and on for gee I don't know 15+ years. I have never been able to hear the difference. You must have golden ears or something.
Eric Stevens of Image Dynamics can tell a difference. Well, he suggests class a/b amps or higher quality class d amps, but there is definately a difference for him. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you wanted super high end SQ, many still believe in the class-A amps. Sound Stream had some years back. But the newer full range class-d's are catching up. As for the current draw, under normal usage class-d will in most cases draw less then a class-a/b. But once the gains rise and the volume rises, the disparity in efficiency gets smaller.

You sir are miss guided. There are alot of full range Class D's on the Market that are just as good as running A/B up front. Let's see Alpine PDX just to name one. Your statments are way to generalized and are only debatable without proof of any kind. This topic of AB vs. D has been going on forever and some very knowledgable car audio people have never been able to agree on it. Some of your info is correct.

dB-SPL-You are fine running either one. The class D will be more effecient and generally a smaller foot print. You will not hear a difference though between the two especailly on a sub.
I dont believe I am misguided. I am simply taking the information that has been supplied for years through all the major publications. I have stated nothing as a fact.

I also stated that I have personally not had a D class amp to compare them myself. All I stated was the debate about sound quality between the A/B and Class D amps.

I next stated that you see very few if any Class D amps in sound quality Cars. I didnt say that no one ran the Class D's just that very few people ran them.

I next stated that the Class D amps show up mainly in street machines and SPL type cars. This is where the Class D amp shines. Its pulsed power supply draws less current and therefore doesnt tax a stock charging system near as much as a A/B amps constant power supply.

I still stand behind my statements. I dont feel they are false or misleading in any manor. Nothing was stated as a fact. I simply suggested he research the difference between the two amps if he was concerned about sound quality as that has been the key point of debate about the Class A/B vs Class D amps.

If you cant hear the difference between a Class A/B vs a Class D then there should be no issue with which one you purchase. I myself will personally listen to each amp prior to making a decision one way or the other, but that is me.

If you wanted super high end SQ, many still believe in the class-A amps. Sound Stream had some years back. But the newer full range class-d's are catching up. As for the current draw, under normal usage class-d will in most cases draw less then a class-a/b. But once the gains rise and the volume rises, the disparity in efficiency gets smaller.
The difference does smaller, but 20% isn't impossible at full output.

With all the distractions inside a car, I see no reason not to go class D unless your competing. I know I won't be able to hear the difference (If there is one at all) while I'm driving.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

terra

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
terra
Yes
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date