99 chevy alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

LivinLoud00
10+ year member

I have a 99 chevy s10 extcab 4 cylinder engine. I'm gonna be putting a planet audio 2400.1 and a 800.4. With a few other things lights etc. The problem I'm having is that I knowy alt will not hold up with all the power draw from all that stuff and I wanna add another battery to my system. I believe the alt is on a 90 amp not really sure. If anyone can help me on what I can put in there it would be great.

A 2nd battery just puts an additional load on the alternator when the car is running. I'd just get a 2nd alternator. Anyways, that system wouldn't be too hard on a stock electrical, but I think it would just work. The first thing you want to do anyways is the big 3, and then you worry about HO alts and extra batteries if you still get headlight dimming.

This is what I understand at least.

I have the big 3 done with all 0 gauge wires. I wanna upgrade my alt. But since u said it would work hard and should work I might just save the money and not do it unless I needed to. I wanted a extra battery just for audio. I'm just worried about going down the road and my alt decides to take a crap on me and I'm stuck down the road. I really don't know what alt fits my truck and I don't wanna build brackets and not add another because I'm already limited on space in the engine comparment. I'm just looking for a HO alt that will fit my truck.

Okay, again though, when you put a 2nd battery on the charging system without an isolator it just puts that much more of a load on the alternator when the car is running. All of the power comes from the alternator with the car on, and it flows INTO the batterie(s). With this setup, the only reason you'd need another battery is to listen to the stereo with the car off for longer.

If you alternator dies, it will most likely die slowly, and not just stop working one day. The lights will get dimmer, the voltage will drop more, you will notice it. You can spend a lot of money on a HO alternator and you have to be careful. And I just don't see the engine bay that crammed in a 4 banger s10, cant you fit a small block in there?

Okay. I was gonna put a iso on it because I read somewhere if u don't it will kill the truck starting battery because if the second battery is on low volts it will try to charge the other one. I just wanna keep the volts up so I don't mess suomething up from clipping or low volts. I'm sure I can fit a small block in my truck and from trying to get behind the alt it was a pain in the ass that's why I said it was cram in there. And by saying be careful with the alt I buy what u mean by that? I just wanna do it right and not have to worry in the future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.