97 jeep grand cherokee headunit transfer, radio works but nothing else?

Participant count
  • Participant list

aircruiser
10+ year member

hey guys i use to have a 99 cherokee but i had an old lady cut me off, instant reaction was to swerve, hit a snow bank and rolled the jeep. it wasnt that bad of a roll, it flopped onto the drivers side and went onto the roof. i now have a 97 grand cherokee, the 99 is going to be turned into an offroad only jeep and i dont need music when wheeling so the plan is to swap the headunit to the new jeep. now on grand cherokees the mounts are the same and im assuming the wiring is too but my grand is a limited so it has the infinity gold stereo with the factory amp so i read you have to connect the blue antenna power wire. i made a trip to best buy and the guy in the installation department said to try and hook up the tuner and see if that works. i plugged in the antenna and it works! but now when i switch to AUX or CD, it will say its working but no sound comes out of the speakers. i forgot what he said to do after that if it works but anyone have any ideas?

i was assuming the headunit is in good working order since it was an easy roll. it is a sony xplod so not the greatest but it was a gift from my parents and it gets the job done and i like it. im pretty sure the 2 12" dual subs i had in there were shot so i upgraded and got a 15" kicker. now just trying to get the music playing so i can wire everything else up. im gonna call best buy tomorrow and see what they say. just curious if any of you could give me some more ideas to try. before the headunit swap, everything worked perfectly. am/fm, cassette, cd.

TIA

hey guys i use to have a 99 cherokee but i had an old lady cut me off, instant reaction was to swerve, hit a snow bank and rolled the jeep. it wasnt that bad of a roll, it flopped onto the drivers side and went onto the roof. i now have a 97 grand cherokee, the 99 is going to be turned into an offroad only jeep and i dont need music when wheeling so the plan is to swap the headunit to the new jeep. now on grand cherokees the mounts are the same and im assuming the wiring is too but my grand is a limited so it has the infinity gold stereo with the factory amp so i read you have to connect the blue antenna power wire. i made a trip to best buy and the guy in the installation department said to try and hook up the tuner and see if that works. i plugged in the antenna and it works! but now when i switch to AUX or CD, it will say its working but no sound comes out of the speakers. i forgot what he said to do after that if it works but anyone have any ideas?
i was assuming the headunit is in good working order since it was an easy roll. it is a sony xplod so not the greatest but it was a gift from my parents and it gets the job done and i like it. im pretty sure the 2 12" dual subs i had in there were shot so i upgraded and got a 15" kicker. now just trying to get the music playing so i can wire everything else up. im gonna call best buy tomorrow and see what they say. just curious if any of you could give me some more ideas to try. before the headunit swap, everything worked perfectly. am/fm, cassette, cd.

TIA
So when its set to the radio it plays through the speakers, but when you go to play a cd no sound comes out? I just took my headunit out of my 97 grand cherokee and put it in my 2001 limited and the plugs were exactly the same and with a small home made bracket I got the mounting bracket to work. So going from the two shouldnt matter with the limited having the stock amp.

yeah it wont play on cd or aux mode..it worked perfect before the accident and it wasnt a hard roll so i was hoping i could re-use it. ive just heard alot of people having issues with wiring in an aftermarket HU with the stock amp. i will be keeping the amp for the speakers and using a seperate amp for the sub.

so ive done some calling around and researching and it sounds like i have to bypass my factory amp..sound correct? i dont need it, i did just fine without it in my xj

well, incase anyone was wondering, i did it without having to bypass the amp and got to keep the ampto power the speakers and the other amp for the sub. on the wiring for the HU, hook up the blue and white wire to the solid blue wire for the stereo. then just splice in the wire for the REI or whatever its called for the amp and youre golden! everything works!

You beat me to it.

Music on ONLY radio source is a surefire sign of the power antenna wire (blue) from the radio being connected to the factory amp turn on, as opposed to the remote turn on wire (blue/white).

As a rule, I always connect the remote turn on wire from the deck (blue/white) to both the power ant (blue) and factory amp turn on (blue/white).

Glad you got it homie.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.