'94 Wrangler Radio Console Build Log

ultimate157
5,000+ posts

Engineering Student
Well here goes for my first console build. The stock radio location pictured below is absolutely horrendous for installing a radio. The only support it offers is the very front plastic piece of the dash, which is extremely flimsy.

Please forgive the shitty indoor-outdoor carpet. The previous owner threw it in there in what seems to be 10 minutes.

So, I am in the process of making a radio console to go in front of the shifter. I will likely add a cubbyhole beneath the radio, but for now... here's what I have.

Stock radio location -- Horrible. I have destroyed radios in the past because I installed them in there. The Jeep rides so rough that the radio bounces every which way and doesn't last a month.

DSCN3318.jpg

DSCN3319.jpg

DSCN3320.jpg

Here are the pieces cut out and ready to be put together. I shaved down the cross pieces to extremely tight tolerance... such that the radio stays in the console by pressure alone. I will probably add a security bolt to the rear of the radio.

DSCN3321.jpg

Pre drilled ready to go.

DSCN3323.jpg

1" fine thread screws. Needed to use these to keep from splitting the 0.5" MDF.

DSCN3324.jpg

Getting together. Glued and screwed.

DSCN3325.jpg

Test fit. So far, so good.

DSCN3326.jpg

DSCN3327.jpg

Bottom lip put in. I did not glue this piece in, because as I said earlier it is a pressure fit for the radio. I have 4 screws holding it in so I can adjust the tightness.

DSCN3328.jpg

DSCN3329.jpg

DSCN3330.jpg

Almost there.

DSCN3331.jpg

DSCN3332.jpg

DSCN3333.jpg

Pretty cool idea. How are you going to cover up the hole where the stock location is?
Probably cover it with either painted sheet metal or plastic and make it a mini switch panel for off-road lights and/or lockers, etc.

looks good but confused as to why the move?
Im pretty sure you are just missing some factory peices
My 2nd wrangler... Other one was the same way. I moved the radio because the factory location offers no support for the radio and they get damaged very easily. Its a common mod to get a stereo console for the Wrangler (A center console with a place specifically for the radio). I chose to do separate ones because I like my style center console, and wanted the radio in that spot anyways. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ultimate157

5,000+ posts
Engineering Student
ultimate157
Worcester, ma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date