93F outside. Normal for amp to go into thermal protect?

JoeK
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ringtown, PA
I noticed my amp cutting off after about an hour or two of constant use. Its an Audiopipe APSM-1500 and im running a 1ohm load at its limits. It goes into protect but will eventually go back into normal mode, only to go into thermal again. Its 93F outside and its in a trunk. Anywho, is this normal?

get a multimeter and check the impedence that the amp is seeing.
1.23ohms

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

no. your clipping your amp. turn the gain down a little bit. your amp should never go into protect.
I hear no distortion, and i tuned it down further from the point that i did. The gain is less than half-way

1.23ohms 

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I hear no distortion, and i tuned it down further from the point that i did. The gain is less than half-way
Also, the amp is real hot to the touch even.

its been 104 ehre during the day.. in my trunk its been 140degree's.. my amp goes into protect if i push it hard.. amp is turned all the way down.. no bass boast etc.. on the amp or radio.. the amp gets hot enough to cook bacon and eggs on

105º the past couple of days

zero problems with my nine.1 and Rockford 500-2

they are in a terrible spot for amps but they never shut down.

I drive 30 min each way to work

I'm thinking mine is a grounding issue.. old Hifonics Brutus 600.. haven't had a chance to rerun my ground from the battery... and put my aq1200 in

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.