'92 Nissan Pickup Installation Help -- xmas gift solution

Participant count
  • Participant list

wambat

-
Hello everyone. My father recently received an XM Radio for Christmas, and we are having trouble finding a way to install the radio into his old truck. Before we bought the radio for him, we did not know that his radio was stuck on permanent scan, his cassette player doesn't hold the cassette, when you push on the in-car radio display you can change stations, or that you can turn the radio on and off by putting in a cassette. As you can tell, his truck is very old, but he likes it a lot for one reason or another. I was thinking about installing a new cassette or AM/FM/Cassette in the truck so that my father could use the cassette adapter to play the XM Radio through the car speakers. I am not familiar with car audio, so I see a way to fix the problem but I am not sure how to start. Well if you have any suggestions to help me out, then don't hesitate to throw it at me. Thank you for reading this and for your suggestions.

P.S.: The XM Radio is the Delphi RoadyXT

well, depending on the amount you want to put into this...

i would get a cheap cass/am/fm unit and put it in. then continue with the XM radio via adapter (i know nothing about sat. radio)

or get a good XM ready unit

Probably unlike a lot of the other posts on this forum, we are not looking to put in a ton of money into this. In fact the cheapest, working, clear am/fm/cassette device will work for us. Is it very hard to take the old unit out and put a new device into its slot? Is it possible to keep the device outside on a seat or floor? Thanks for your time.

Swapping out the old radio for a new one is really pretty simple. I'm very meticulous about soldering all the wires instead of just using crimp connectors and it still only takes me about 2 hours to do an entire headunit install. Other than the radio itself you would need a dash kit (about $15) and a wiring harness (about $15). You match wire colors on the wiring harness and the wires on the new radio and then unplug the old radio and plug the new one in in its place. the dash kit is used to physically mount the new radio in the dash. Since you're looking for a cassette deck, you might try eBay or the like to find a used one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.