'89 Celica Liftback speaker install

Participant count
  • Participant list

Llamas
10+ year member

I've been poking around to see what my options are for replacing the stock speakers in my '89 Celica GT-S liftback. Unfortunately, the information I have been able to find (Crutchfield, Mobiletoys, manufacturers' web sits, forums) has been conflicting, and I get the idea that some of the fit chart leave out information about whether extra cutting is required.

From what I've found, it looks like the front dash-mounted speakers are 3.5", with a downward-facing 5" passive element in the same enclosure. All the charts say 4" for replacement. I'll take that at face value. I am guessing that I should leave the passive speaker in place in order to keep the enclosure sealed.

The rears are harder to figure out. I've seen numbers from 4" to 5" to 5.25" listed. Which is it? I imagine something a little too small would always fit (with an adapter around the openning, if necessary), but what about the 5.25"? I worry that it might be one of those, "if you cut the metal around the hole, it will fit," type of situations instead of a simple swap. At the same time, I want to get as large of a speaker in there as I can.

Thanks,

--Mike

Pull the speaker out and take it to your local shop. They shoul dbe able to take a look at it and tell you what size it is and let you decide on a speaker from there. The variance in the size charts you are getting could (not definate) be from variance in models etc.....However it is still wise just to have it checked out if you are doing all the work yourself.

Yeah, I think I'm going to pull things apart, this weekend. It's going to be a pain in the ass (well, the rears will), but then I'll have hands-on measurements of the hole size, clearance to the grill, and depth limits to go from. I can compare those numbers to the specs on the manufacturers' sites.

I hate to go to the local shops for help if I'm planning on buying on-line, and in this case the price difference is enough that the extra cost of doing business locally is not worth the value added by the retailer.

Thanks,

--Mike

the local dealer has to know you are buying from him to help you out? LOL Just make em think you are. Hell most would help you even without the sale just because it isn't that big of a deal, but yeah check it all out once you have it out and you will be ok.

Alaxan, did you just recommend that a dude go down and get help at the local shop? Holy ****, I can't believe it....LOL. Anyway, sometimes the trade magazines and stuff get lazy when they're quoting sizes. They'll call a 4" a 4", a 5 1/4" a 5", a 6 1/2" a 6" and so on. The fronts are a four, and yes use the little diaphram to keep that little enclosure sealed (in my experience with those, that sounds best). The rear speakers should be a 5 1/4" (as most toyotas of that era are).

Just curious, what speakers are you buying? What is the price difference? The reason I ask is you shouldn't feel bad about asking the dude at the shop to match the internet price. I know if you were buying from me, I'd do just about anything to get your business. Besides, if it's not an authorized internet site you're ordering from, your speakrs won't have any warranty. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of stuff on the net. But, if you can support a local shop, why not do it?

I do buy local as much as possible, no matter what the kind of merchandise. The difference in price, if any, is often made up for in service and support. But, it also common that the difference in price is not in line with what I get out of it.

In this case, I'm looking at something like the MB Quart DKD110 and DKD113. I'd probably go with the next level up, but I probably won't have this car for more than another 8 months, or so. I'll take the HU (looking at the Alpine CDA-7894) with me, but leave the speakers behind. I'll wait for the next car to start on amps and subs.

These speakers are $59 and $79 at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com and $100 and $150 at the local Car Toys. Once you throw in free shipping vs. tax, it's about half the price. If that amount were $30, I'd buy locally in a heartbeat, but I've got better things to do with $125. When I figure in the HU, the totals are $467 vs. $706; now the delta is $239. I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what they can do, though. I need to figure out what an acceptable price is before I go talk to them, though.

Thanks again for the help.

--Mike

LOL yes bean I suggested he pas by the local shop, but I did not do so for him to have them do the work because he may break something LMAO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.