8 volt HU

?

I thought you were suppose to match the gain with the ouput voltage the HU puts out. So I figured if I were to buy a HU that has a 8v sub out I would be able to set the gain to 8V.

BTW, I really dont know much, just a little more than the basics.

?
I thought you were suppose to match the gain with the ouput voltage the HU puts out. So I figured if I were to buy a HU that has a 8v sub out I would be able to set the gain to 8V.

Yes, it allows you to turn your gain down (setting your gain to 8V is actually turning it down, not up). But, the one of the main advantages to this is reduce possibility for noise from the amp. If your amp has no noise issues at 4V, then 8V isn't going to sound any different. It's also supposed to help reduce the chance for induced noise when being transferred via the RCA wire. But again, if you have no noise with a lower voltage HU, then you aren't going to notice a difference.

i did a test with a alpine head unit and a rockford head unit. I did the test about a yr ago so i dont remember what model alpine it was but it was 4v and the rockford was 5v. I put in a test cd and at about 1/2 volume on the alpine it was giving out 5% distortion, at about 1.5v. The rockford head unit went all the way up to 5v with less than 3% distortion. So there is alot more to a head unit then how strong its signal is.

So with my Kenwood HU(2 volts) I'll have to crank my gains almost all the way up? Is this not good for the amp? I believe I can get some processor for my unit and it would make the output 4 volts. Is that something I should look into?

IMO preout voltage is highly overrated. There are plenty of SQ systems out there with 2V preouts. It's worth getting higher outputs if you're buying a new HU, mostly because other specs also improve with upper end models. But using a line booster is a waste unless you're experiencing hiss from the amp. Anything you add inline adds to distortion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Looney_Tune

10+ year member
F**k How You Feel
Looney_Tune
Killeen,TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date