8" Carbon Fiber Midbass/Mirange Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciaonzo
5,000+ posts

TheContinental
WI
Item(s) for Sale:

Pair of high efficiency McCauley HX32 honeycomb composite midbass drivers from the MLA series line array touring cabinets.

Item(s) Description/Condition:

Beautiful condition, one is older and shows a bit more age (see photos). These things are clean and powerful but all PA gear is, right? No, I mean these things stroke like 3/4" of an inch and don't make any mechanical noise or inter-modulation distortion because the cone is so stiff and there's copper in the motor. The clarity and detail in the midrange is unbelievable, and the midbass attack is awesome. The cone is a super-light, multi-layered composite sandwich construction with real carbon fiber, not fiberglass masquerading as carbon fiber. So stiff, you can push anywhere on the back of the cone and the entire cone moves up and down instead of the edge simply flexing.

I believe these are built by B&C Speaker for McCauley and you cannot find these drivers anywhere. They are 8 ohm but at such high sensitivity (96dB1w/1m), they will still play far louder than your normal 4 ohm gear, and by a lot. I fed them 30-60 real watts and it was all I could stand. They stroked like crazy and kept up with the TC Sounds NEO 18 with no problem. That is no easy task because that thing is loud. With some of today's full range digital amplifiers offering tons of front stage wattage, you could really beat these things up on a real 100-120 watts but they are rated for a real 400w. You can absolutely abuse these from 50-60Hz on up and they stay clean, clean, clean. Hope your doors are up to the task.

Price:

$250 shipped, CONUS. Possibly open to offers but I will ignore lowballing.

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

CONUS only, please.

Item Pictures:

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are available on the 12th I'll buy them.As ****** as my highs are the six and a halfs just can't keep up with 3500 watts on the 15 I just got to have a three way
Sounds good. These are pretty loud. I was using pretty aggressive EQ in order to tame the midrange and create a warmer balance but drums are just awesome.

Sounds good. These are pretty loud. I was using pretty aggressive EQ in order to tame the midrange and create a warmer balance but drums are just awesome.
they only thing i lack now is a very strong up front 60 to 80hz range. i can't really blame the 6.5s they are IB. i can be good balance but it take a good deal of output away..

they only thing i lack now is a very strong up front 60 to 80hz range. i can't really blame the 6.5s they are IB. i can be good balance but it take a good deal of output away..
That's the trick I was pulling with these. I basically put a tilted response on them in favor of the low end, giving up the overall sensitivity in favor of a warmer powerful sound. They take power really well and stay punchy.

That's the trick I was pulling with these. I basically put a tilted response on them in favor of the low end, giving up the overall sensitivity in favor of a warmer powerful sound. They take power really well and stay punchy.
curious you think i could cross them over at 1.6k with decent results?

curious you think i could cross them over at 1.6k with decent results?
Yep, they're pretty good in that respect. Especially with an asymmetrical slope setup. Steep slope on the 8" and shallow slope on the midrange you mate it with. That will help offset any minor shortcomings you experience with off axis performance of the 8" in the neighborhood of 1.6k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...