8 in subs, or smaller?

junocdx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
AR
I've been looking into some nice 8" subs lately. I'm in a regular cab pickup, so I'm pretty pressed for space. I have like 2.5 cubes to work with, with the biggest box that I can comfortably fit. I'd like to fit maybe 3 or 4 8" subs, and port them. I've been hearing a bit about 6.5" subs and stuff lately... but havn't gotten to look at anything yet. If anyone would list some good subs for me to check out.. thats what Im needing. I'm looking 8 or smaller, that can handle some abuse. I'm more worried about SQ than the SPL, but I want to get pretty dang loud too, so I can embarrass all my friends with their crappy setups. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif The ones I've found that I really like are these two:

Audiobahn AW800Q 8"

300RMS

http://www.audiobahninc.com/products/detail.asp?productsID=92

$69 at Ikesound.com

Kicker S8L5

300RMS

http://kicker.com/ShowPage.cfm?filename=l5solosub.html&menu=SUBWOOFERS

$100 at Purecaraudio.com

The Kicker has more cone area which usually means louder, but the Audiobahn seems to have a lot of specs over the Kicker, especially in the build. Not to mention the Audiobahn is FAR less expensive. As far as the SQ of Audiobahn, people say it sounds muddy. I'm a metal head. I love rock and the sound of a distorted guitar, and the muddiness and such of the Audiobahn would probably just add to the effect and make me even more horny. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Just tell me what you think and help me out guys. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Got any links or prices or info or such? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Personal opinions?

here's a link for the ed8a, never heard it but i think some guys on here can help ya out with the first hand knowledge of this thing. looks amazing though

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/aseries.htm

out of the two you have listed i beleive both the ed and re subs will have better sq and may even match them in output(someone back me up, im runnin on pure speculation), even though the kicker will perform very nicely given enough space.

About RE's 8", ask snova, he had a pair of them, so he might be able to tell you...

If bigbassman (Loyd) is willing, he might tell you about it too, he's reviewed and abused them, giving them mroe than 1000w I think.

about ed's 8a, it's not in stock as yet, I think..

http://www.edesignaudio.com

both of them might give you quite a run for the money. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well the ed8a.44 is like $185 per sub I think. Something like that. Althought I've always wanted to own an eD sub with that SEXY new cone, I just cant afford them right now. Thats way out of my budget.

I'll talk to both Loyd and John eventually. I just really like the Audiobahns because of the price. I think that what they offer for only $70 is amazing. As far as giving the Kicker enough space.. like I said I'm pressed for space. Not much room. I could probably go with just 2 8"s and give them hell. :-D I dont really want to go more than $100 or so per sub. Because I still have to buy the box materials and the amp and such. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Any other suggestions?

I can't find anything on the REs online. I know SNOVA liked them, and I think I've read Loyds review... but have yet to see prices or specs yet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.