-6db or -3db

i set mine using -6 and -10, and when i turned it up the sub sounded distorted and was making popping noises, do you know why they are doing that? but they are fine when i use -6db

heres the quick skinny.
when you set your gains @ -10 DB, you are raising your overall output of the amp to compensate for the -10 DB.

if you set them using 0 db tones, then the signal is not attenuated, and you will have 0 chance of clipping if done properly
x2

i set mine using -6 and -10, and when i turned it up the sub sounded distorted and was making popping noises, do you know why they are doing that? but they are fine when i use -6db
Because it was set incorrectly. Stick to -6db if you don't notice the distortion.

ok im not sure if this is my problem or not but im using a 45hz test tone, is that what im supposed to be using?
No. It may just be that in your particular install, the amp is supplying too much power for the driver. Reduce your gain untill the noise goes away.

No. It may just be that in your particular install, the amp is supplying too much power for the driver. Reduce your gain untill the noise goes away.
ok i reduced the gain so the popping noise doesnt happen, but my subs look like they are flexing way beyond their limit, is this normal? i got 2 12 L7's

ok i reduced the gain so the popping noise doesnt happen, but my subs look like they are flexing way beyond their limit, is this normal? i got 2 12 L7's
As long as they do not exceed their mechanical limits they should be fine. Use your own judgment on this one. Because in the end, you will be the one replacing them;)

ok, ive seen videos of subs like the w7s that look like they are flexing way more then they are supposed too, and i have seen a couple of l7 videos that look like they are flexing too much, can anyone find me a video on realm of excursion that shows me how much my l7s should be moving?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bigballin5779

10+ year member
bigballin5779
chi
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from