6.5" speaker boxes

Participant count
  • Participant list
Originally posted by Goddyd4me http://www.partsexpress.com

Thanks. At first I thought that maybe I had the wrong site. Dang, they want 57 dollars per box. I guess I'll just have to make them myself. It *****. It's not even for me it's for my Dad's boat. We bought him a deck and speakers for the summer ski boat and I have to install it. There is no where to mount to in the boat so that's why I needed the boxes. Do you know what the best wood is to make speaker boxes out of? I thought it was particle board. Am I right? What thickness of particle board should I use?

Originally posted by joshpoints Thanks. At first I thought that maybe I had the wrong site. Dang, they want 57 dollars per box. I guess I'll just have to make them myself. It *****. It's not even for me it's for my Dad's boat. We bought him a deck and speakers for the summer ski boat and I have to install it. There is no where to mount to in the boat so that's why I needed the boxes. Do you know what the best wood is to make speaker boxes out of? I thought it was particle board. Am I right? What thickness of particle board should I use?
For 90° angles, you can use 1/2" MDF...for anything else, you have to use 3/4" or else it'll be all rickety

particle board is a horrid thing to use for boxes...for sub boxes, but I wouldn't know about the 6"... it should be fine, cause you will get your lazy utt up and learn about fiberglassing...

wood and water do NOT mix, and salt will only weaken the wood even more. Make a box, then put at least two layers of fiberglass ont eh box so that yo won't have naty salt water and vapour on it. Also, is your speaker marine use? The backets might corrode, and I don't thin the speaker surrounds would like it much either.

Originally posted by paikiah particle board is a horrid thing to use for boxes...for sub boxes, but I wouldn't know about the 6"... it should be fine, cause you will get your lazy utt up and learn about fiberglassing...

wood and water do NOT mix, and salt will only weaken the wood even more. Make a box, then put at least two layers of fiberglass ont eh box so that yo won't have naty salt water and vapour on it. Also, is your speaker marine use? The backets might corrode, and I don't thin the speaker surrounds would like it much either.

The speakers and deck are both for marine use. I thought that particle board is good for speakers because it is dense. That's a good idea with the fiberglass resin. I'll put some coats of that on. Actually my dad and I have used fiberglass. I was into fiberglass rc boats and he tore the deck out of the boat because it got water damage and fiberglassed a deck back in. I'll use 3/4".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.