4awg off the battery, 4awg off the dist. block too?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jumbo Jet
10+ year member

FL
I'll be hooking up 2 JL amps, ones a 300/4v2 and the other a 500/1v2. One requires a 40 amp fuse and the other a 50. I'll be putting in a 100 amp breaker at the battery. I already have 4awg pulled thru the fire wall to the back wall of the truck, then split into two 8 awg at a fused dist. block going into 2 Alpine F series amps (being replaced by the JL's). I was wondering if I can have the 4awg main line like it is now, but upgrade to two 4awg's going to the new JL's from the fused dist. block, instead of the 8awg's ? The JL's recommend 4awg inputs, I'm sure 8 is gonna be fine, but I have a lot of 4 left over to make it work.

Any harm doing that or is it always best to run smaller wire after you split it up like that?

Thanks in advance

I don't think you're gonna get the power draw you need if you keep the same gauge wire. Not an expert at car audio, but if you divide a load, you will lose power if it splits into the same carrier capacity.

Ok, great.... thanks. I guess I'll just keep the two 8awg's there then. To really be an upgrade it'd have to be a 2 awg main run, then split into two 4 awg's..... correct? But again, these arent 1000w amps, the 8 should be fine.

Thanks again

I really dont want to pull the drivers side of the truck apart again to run another 4 awg. I think I'll just keep the main 4 splitting into two 8 awg's.

PJ, you pretty happy with your JL amps? Any regrets with them, maybe wishing you went another direction? I'm running 2 Alpine V Series amps, but next month I'm upgrading to a set of Rainbow Germs, and I was wanting to upgrade to the JL 300/4v2 for them, then a 500/1v2 for my subs. Would love to hear some feedback on them, where did you get them? ...... I see them online for $300 each, but I'm kinda nervous about getting one with serial numbers scratched off of something like that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.