(4) Custom Fi 18's (4) AP30001Ds 45 cubic feet 20" port @ 24Hz

Kryptonitewhite
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just purchased (4) custom FiCarAudio 18's from Jim, aka ZORA. Thank you very much Jim, I am very excited to see how these perform in the van! So here's what's in the van:

Alpine IVA-W505 DVD player. I purchased it with the intent of running an optical out cable for audio and Ai-NET cable to touch-screen interface with the crossover, Alpine PXA-H701.

All slopes are set to 30dB/oct going against the advice of CUBDENNO, who said "keep it even at 24dB!" sorry but I just can't make myself do it!

(4) Vifa XT25TG30 1" ring radiators doing a steep 66dB/oct slope 14kHz on up (yeah, I know, but thats how it is) off a Kicker SX500.2 parallel 2ohms with its 36dB/oct slope adding in the mix. Since 14k on up is such a small weak bandwidth, I had to add a PG line driver I got from my buddy in the windy city/

(2) CSS FR125S 4.5" full range XBL^2 drivers doing 710Hz-14k off a KX650.4 bridged 8 ohms

(4) Adire Audio Extremis 6.4's off (2) KX850.4's each bridged on a pair covering 80Hz-710Hz

(4) custom Fi 18's from Jim, who gave me one hell of a deal.. great guy to work with! Covering 200Hz on down. Too high? too bad! Overlaping the Extremis? yup! When I dropped the old subs down to 80Hz, I really missed the 80Hz-200Hz content from the subs. When I brought the Extremis up to 200Hz from 80Hz, I hated it! They sound different coming from the different drivers (they being 80Hz-200Hz) and I miss them when i remove either!

Enclosure is 45 cubic feet, 20" diameter port 20" long for a 24Hz tune! Subs are HPed at 6dB/oct at 20Hz for protection.

120-150 cans of Great Stuff expanding foam..so glad I didn't do all 2x4's!

Toggle switches to disable the different bands: I can kill the tweets, 4.5's, 7"ers, and subs all separately, run any combination... just subs and tweets, just mids, whatever at the flip of a switch!

The subs:

Fs = 23.7 Hz

Re = 1.8 Ohms

Qms = 7.22

Qes = 0.38

Qts = 0.35

Cms = 130.0 uM/N

Mms = 300.0 grams

Sd = 1217.0 cmsq

Vas = 279.4 liters

SPL = 92.1 dB

X-max = 40mm

Power = 1,500+ watts

The top plate is 7/8", triple magnet, 2 ohm flatwound coils, single spider (8" I think), paper/kevlar cone, santoprene surround.

The 40mm might actually be X-mech one-way. A throw of 28-30mm one-way with the coil in the gap?

IMG_0448-1.jpg

IMG_0449-1.jpg

IMG_0450-1.jpg

IMG_0459-1.jpg

I LOVED the IB3s. Weak motored subs have troubles being loaded with ports... rather than peaking at tuning, my FR responce wasn't where I wanted it. I had to PEQ heavily to bring the 20Hz-30Hz region up to fight the port. Don't get it wrong, the IB3s had enough motor to bottom out even at tuning easily, its the FR curve. So i got bigger motored subs like everyone said I should have all along to get more 20Hz-30Hz rather than peaking at 30Hz-50Hz like I was. I LOVED the IB3s and plan on keeping them in my towers!

lets see some work get done bro!

I disagree with a lot of ideas that you have laid out, BUT id like to see some videos of stuff just getting absolutely destroyed.

and as long as youre happy, then thats right......who cares about the rest.

I LOVED the IB3s. Weak motored subs have troubles being loaded with ports... rather than peaking at tuning, my FR responce wasn't where I wanted it. I had to PEQ heavily to bring the 20Hz-30Hz region up to fight the port. Don't get it wrong, the IB3s had enough motor to bottom out even at tuning easily, its the FR curve. So i got bigger motored subs like everyone said I should have all along to get more 20Hz-30Hz rather than peaking at 30Hz-50Hz like I was. I LOVED the IB3s and plan on keeping them in my towers!
They dont work with ports because its an IB sub. IB enclosures dont have ported because well... Its IB. There shouldnt be an enclosure to port.

On board for failboat v2.

lets see some work get done bro!
I disagree with a lot of ideas that you have laid out, BUT id like to see some videos of stuff just getting absolutely destroyed.

and as long as youre happy, then thats right......who cares about the rest.
fair enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The first sub should get here this week, when it does I'll have plenty of pics then free air break in vids off an EP4000. Until then, here's the latest walk though vid I did a few weeks ago showing the entire system when I had the IB3s in at the time.

The first sub should get here this week, when it does I'll have plenty of pics then free air break in vids off an EP4000. Until then, here's the latest walk though vid I did a few weeks ago showing the entire system when I had the IB3s in at the time.

I have no words for this system. what are you hitting on the meter? and loudest frequency?

You catch a lot of flak but I say kudos. Do something different!

I can't say I approve of the install methods but if it works and you don't mind the Duct Tape, do it. Being different makes the world go round. If there were no diversity we'd all be running (insert nuthuggerbrand here) subs and amps and driving the same cars.

Thank you so much zora, pics do not do them justice... they are just ridiculous HUGE! Why would anyone want ULTRAs, notnyt? Are you INSANE?! lol jk jk.

CIMG4183.jpg

CIMG4184.jpg

CIMG4182.jpg

CIMG4181.jpg

CIMG4180.jpg

CIMG4179.jpg

just nuts, completely changes my perspective on photos of big subs. no way I'd put BTLs, ULTRAs, or Wardens in my wall or HT. notnyt, I take it back... putting these in the towers? IDK... theyd be directly connected to 2"x4"s or side boards, but wow...IDK... and youre nuts having the 18's you have. nuts.

CIMG4192.jpg

CIMG4191.jpg

CIMG4190.jpg

CIMG4189.jpg

CIMG4188.jpg

CIMG4187.jpg

CIMG4186.jpg

CIMG4185.jpg

I don't know if I can hear it surpassing Xmax or if it's the hard plastic dustcap against the air behind it, but around 1/2 way it gets noisy. Not bad/broken noisy, just motor noise or something.

I have no words for this system. what are you hitting on the meter? and loudest frequency?
with the IB3s I hit 148.7 at 25Hz and 26Hz, I did 15Hz-29Hz because thats all I was concerned about. I would guess I would have gotten 153-156 above 30Hz.

You catch a lot of flak but I say kudos. Do something different!
I can't say I approve of the install methods but if it works and you don't mind the Duct Tape, do it. Being different makes the world go round. If there were no diversity we'd all be running (insert nuthuggerbrand here) subs and amps and driving the same cars.
feel me?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.