4 awg wiring??

bronco2323
10+ year member

house
alright im about to get the jbl 1200.1 and it will be with another 400watt amp i have 8awg right now so im guessing that it would be a good thing to go 4 gauge or even lower...........and another thing can i use the same kind of d-block to hook up the ground to.thanx

you probably need to run 2awg wire to a dist block. try to get 4awg going from the dist block to the JBL amp. the other amp will need only 8awg.

as for the grounds, i dont really understand your question. each amp needs to be grounded with a maximum wire length of 3 feet. the ground needs to be bolted to a solid metal surface that is paint (and other thins of thi sort) free. just bear metal.

hope you got a good batt and alt too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

for the ground i mean like get another d block like i have and 1 ground from 1 amp and the other ground from the other amp into the d block and 1 4 or 2 gauge comming out of the d block and down to a clean metal surface.can that be done like that.

as far as a battery goes i was thinkin since its gonna be winter soon and my battery is older that i would pick up one of those bigass diehard batterys from sears.

i dont know how many amps my alt is but im pretty sure it could be better.

Originally posted by drkodin no you can't use a dist block for the ground. just find one grounding point and attach both amps there. the ground wire can only be 2-3' long max.
Wrong, you can use a distro for grounding most people just dont do it casue its extra money and not needed, but it can make a system have a nice appearence. Some compainies make combo blocks that have both power and ground.

Originally posted by blackgeltabs [bAlso ground can be longer than 2-3" with minimal side effects, just make sure your ground is the same size as the power wire. [/b]
as for the first part, he was right i was just busy so i could type all the reasons why.

as for the ground length, it changes from car to car. some cars will have minimal side effects others will have severe alt whine. it all depends on the car and the electrical system of that car. Plus, i have never seen a car with a distro block used for "looks" in a setup. the people that make setups look nice know better. they know that people will just look at that and ask why. there is no point/advantage to using a distro block for the ground.

Originally posted by drkodin as for the first part, he was right i was just busy so i could type all the reasons why.

as for the ground length, it changes from car to car. some cars will have minimal side effects others will have severe alt whine. it all depends on the car and the electrical system of that car. Plus, i have never seen a car with a distro block used for "looks" in a setup. the people that make setups look nice know better. they know that people will just look at that and ask why. there is no point/advantage to using a distro block for the ground.
I use them for my ground I also have my ground fused. There is an advantage of this since it is not always the positive side that gets a short and can cause an amp problem. Also it does make for a much neater and clean appearance when you take pride in the install and even have the wires creating a design, while being fully functional.

Originally posted by drkodin as for the first part, he was right i was just busy so i could type all the reasons why.

I took out the groud wire part casue I thought u said 2-3 inches when i looked at ur post again it was feet:D I took it out before u posted that though, oh well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.