383 stroker

TRANSAMCHARGER2
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
CT
whats the cheapest this sells for, and if my car is currently fuel injected can u put in a carborated engine, also would i need a new rear end going from 235 hp to like 400+, if i need a new rear end how much that cost

the cheapest i found a a 383 was $2500 CAN. cause it was a fresh rebuild and was complete with no carb. I don't think u would need a new rear end u might need new gears for it and maybe a different driveshaft that can handle the extra HP. U also my need a different tranny, but it all depends if u race it lots cause my cusion had a 87 monte carlo ss w/ t-tops he put a 350LT1 in it and took out the stock so called 305 HO with probably has 150hp and the LT1 had 450hp and he raced it and blew the tranny 2 times till he got a 700R4. Just thought i would tell ya a little something about his swap.

Originally posted by BassRacer the cheapest i found a a 383 was $2500 CAN. cause it was a fresh rebuild and was complete with no carb. I don't think u would need a new rear end u might need new gears for it and maybe a different driveshaft that can handle the extra HP. U also my need a different tranny, but it all depends if u race it lots cause my cusion had a 87 monte carlo ss w/ t-tops he put a 350LT1 in it and took out the stock so called 305 HO with probably has 150hp and the LT1 had 450hp and he raced it and blew the tranny 2 times till he got a 700R4. Just thought i would tell ya a little something about his swap.
well, i hope that lt1 was modified cause a stock lt1 doesnt put out 450+ horse

im not sayin it wasnt but they dont do that stock

and as far as a tranny, go till u break ther current one, it might hold it might not cause i dont know what it is

when it does go put a turbo 350 or turbo 400 in it. only go 700r4 if u wanna drive it a lot on the highway

u can keep the same drive shaft, change the rearend gears just for some power on the low end. if u plan to consistantly race it id put somethin like a ford 9 in rearend in it sense those things are practically indestructable

and the motor in ss3079's link, i wouldnt buy that(not to sound harsh) but it cost a ton and onyl put puts 325 horse.u can easily do that with a nice little 350

go to http://www.northernautoparts.com and look at their 383 stoker engine kits, they are really good deals and u might as well build ur own motor.buildin a motor is not difficult at all.

i know but still the 400 turbo can handle like what 1000 hp i dont think that he needs that big of a tranny for that "small" of a motor im saying that he doesnt have to get the 400 he can go smaller becasue the 400 can handle the 572 all day with no problems what so ever

ok, dont touch 700-r4s. they cant even stand up to a chevy v6 if used rough, get a turbo 400 with a street/strip shift kit and a 12 bolt rear end. as for the 383, simply take a 350 block, have it cleaned, the decks milled till they are true, bore it .030" oversize, take flat top pistons, a cam with mild lift with gobs of duration( a little trick to use when you cant fork out the $$ for killer flowing heads), 305 heads that have been done over with a port and polish job and fresh valves and rockers, edelbrock victor jr intake, edelbrock 700 cfm carb, headers. (my estimate 400-450 horse but could be lower or higher) and you will accomplish what you are after.

have fun

DAN

Originally posted by BASSBOY ok, dont touch 700-r4s. they cant even stand up to a chevy v6 if used rough, get a turbo 400 with a street/strip shift kit and a 12 bolt rear end. as for the 383, simply take a 350 block, have it cleaned, the decks milled till they are true, bore it .030" oversize, take flat top pistons, a cam with mild lift with gobs of duration( a little trick to use when you cant fork out the $$ for killer flowing heads), 305 heads that have been done over with a port and polish job and fresh valves and rockers, edelbrock victor jr intake, edelbrock 700 cfm carb, headers. (my estimate 400-450 horse but could be lower or higher) and you will accomplish what you are after.

have fun

DAN
see, we agree on the 700r4 thing, i dont like them i was just giving the option of better highway use

and u forgot to mention u have to take a 400 block crank and have it turned down to fit in a 350.

i would use 350 heads, not 305 and go ahead and do the porting job(its easy, just slighty time consuming, my dad did it for my mom show car while me and my brother built the same motor without doin that and my moms camaro will run circles around my bros)

i would go with 2.02 heads if u can get ahold of some, but 1.94's will do, u just wont get the same perfomance out of them obviously

i prefer holley carbs, but i also prefer eldelbrock intakes, its kinda like a ford chevy thing

Originally posted by choochooSS and u forgot to mention u have to take a 400 block crank and have it turned down to fit in a 350.

i would use 350 heads, not 305
****, i did forget to mention the 400 crank, i got so into the performance parts it just skipped my mind.

oh and the reason i mentioned the 305 heads, they will bump the compression of the engine in comparison to the 350 heads. and if you happen to come across some heads that flow better, scratch the cam suggestion, just go for something with huge lift and huge duration:D

Dan

I was wondering about that engine becuase my engine in my car currently has a lot of miles on it and since i own the car i would rather put a new engine in, my car is now a grand marquis and i know i could replace the engine but dont know the cost, I wanted an engine around 2500 plus and it carborated. will this work?

Originally posted by BASSBOY ****, i did forget to mention the 400 crank, i got so into the performance parts it just skipped my mind.

oh and the reason i mentioned the 305 heads, they will bump the compression of the engine in comparison to the 350 heads. and if you happen to come across some heads that flow better, scratch the cam suggestion, just go for something with huge lift and huge duration:D

Dan
i see what ur sayin on the 305 heads, i always just had the 350 heads plained down a little to bump the compression a tad

the massive cam thing is a really good idea but if u get into to big of lift and duration u gotta get new valve springs and most likely a stall converter, if u stay inder a 500 lift cam the u shouldnt have the stall converter problem

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

TRANSAMCHARGER2

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
TRANSAMCHARGER2
CT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date