3 Chambers vs 1 and Port Problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pyrofan

CarAudio.com Elite
Ga
Buddy needs 3 15's in a s10. Originally I was gonna do a single chamber but I was told the Long skinny port would sound bad. So now im thinking 3 chambers ( more work) and doing a regular slot port. What do yall say. The Original port was 43.5x3 But now I have 3x15.25. Hes paying me $150 to build and design this box. I thought it was gonna be simple but boy was I wrong. I would do Aero Ports but thats alot of $$$

I'd do a common chamber with a 6" aeroport out of PVC. It won't be expensive to use an aeroport, and you can easily tune it to what sounds best. You can also get the most internal box volume out of your space. Flare the port ends with a metal bowl and a good quality heat gun to reduce port noise. If you can't flare the port by yourself, buy some pipe adapters that are flared, or tuck the port end under something like the seat.

I started off making slotted ported boxes, but after going aero once, I won't go back. They may not always look as nice, but can be made to sound good more easily.

I'd do a common chamber with a 6" aeroport out of PVC. It won't be expensive to use an aeroport, and you can easily tune it to what sounds best. You can also get the most internal box volume out of your space. Flare the port ends with a metal bowl and a good quality heat gun to reduce port noise. If you can't flare the port by yourself, buy some pipe adapters that are flared, or tuck the port end under something like the seat.
I started off making slotted ported boxes, but after going aero once, I won't go back. They may not always look as nice, but can be made to sound good more easily.
I Cant find 6in PVC around here and I would need 3 6in Aeros for 3 15's. The 6in PVC I have here Is foam core and would need like 40in to get down to 37 Hz. And this impossible in this box when the max depth is 15in

I Cant find 6in PVC around here and I would need 3 6in Aeros for 3 15's. The 6in PVC I have here Is foam core and would need like 40in to get down to 37 Hz. And this impossible in this box when the max depth is 15in
Then get the largest pvc you can find. It also comes in 8 inch.

Its not impossible to get 40 inches. You can make it external and add 90 degree elbow joints to pipe it around stuff. I tuned my SA 8 down to the low 20's with a rediculously long 4" aeroport. It wasn't a loud setup, but it shook stuff.

What do you mean by "foam core"

Then get the largest pvc you can find. It also comes in 8 inch.
Its not impossible to get 40 inches. You can make it external and add 90 degree elbow joints to pipe it around stuff. I tuned my SA 8 down to the low 20's with a rediculously long 4" aeroport. It wasn't a loud setup, but it shook stuff.

What do you mean by "foam core"
The PVC pipe in larger sizes ie above 5in come in foam core. The Pipe isnt solid PVC plastic. The pipe has a skin of PVC then foam then more PVC so not sure how it would bend. The car a S10 so the pipe must be internal. 8in pipe is Impossible to find without paying big $$$.

Do you think a long skinny slot port would sound bad? It was giving like 15in^2 per cube

The PVC pipe in larger sizes ie above 5in come in foam core. The Pipe isnt solid PVC plastic. The pipe has a skin of PVC then foam then more PVC so not sure how it would bend. The car a S10 so the pipe must be internal. 8in pipe is Impossible to find without paying big $$$.
Do you think a long skinny slot port would sound bad? It was giving like 15in^2 per cube
just do the math and work in square ports. 3 chambers=3 ports if you can get he size needed for each port in each box. common chamber it a little easier and you can go with any port you like.

skinny port may work but stay over 2" wide on the port width

Hmm, PVC around here is solid and 8" is about $20 for ten feet. I've never seen foam core before. Still not sure why it has to be internal, but ok.

A long skinny port may have a lot of port noise. Make sure to sand the corners off the edge of the port to reduce drag and noise. Especially since the box is in the cab of the vehicle where distortion would be easy to hear, don't make the port too narrow. You won't get the most out of the subs before they start to sound bad.

just do the math and work in square ports. 3 chambers=3 ports if you can get he size needed for each port in each box. common chamber it a little easier and you can go with any port you like.skinny port may work but stay over 2" wide on the port width
Ive built several boxes but this is confusing me cause of the size and depth. I can only got back 15in so thats what killing me. I was told my Original port of 43.5x3 and length of 25 would sound bad for some reason. I didnt really understand what you posted though.

Hmm, PVC around here is solid and 8" is about $20 for ten feet. I've never seen foam core before. Still not sure why it has to be internal, but ok.
A long skinny port may have a lot of port noise. Make sure to sand the corners off the edge of the port to reduce drag and noise. Especially since the box is in the cab of the vehicle where distortion would be easy to hear, don't make the port too narrow. You won't get the most out of the subs before they start to sound bad.
I has to be internal cause a pipe sticking out of the box would A) Look dumb B) hit your head. Here 6in PVC for 10 ft is $45. I have a Aero port in my truck now. I like aero ports their just more then slot ports.

I has to be internal cause a pipe sticking out of the box would A) Look dumb B) hit your head. Here 6in PVC for 10 ft is $45. I have a Aero port in my truck now. I like aero ports their just more then slot ports.
Alright, I see your point then. Just offering my opinion. For my vehicles, aeroports have always been the best option

Alright, I see your point then. Just offering my opinion. For my vehicles, aeroports have always been the best option
Thank you for offering it. Most people havent replied to my threads. Im not sure what the best option for this box is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.