$210 install on a $87 car alarm worth it?

Gatman
10+ year member

Hey guys i just bought a car alarm from sonic electronics for 87 bucks, nd it would cost me 210 from the local car audio shop to install it. it has a 14 day return, but i opened the box, so i dont know if i can send it back or not? can u help me there? also, the store offers a one button one way audiovox for $250 installed, cheaper than the route i wanted to go, what one should i do??? btw my alarm is a viper 350plus....should i look around and find a cheaper place? help!

long story short, a mechanic didn't know what he was doing and cut out my sister's remote start/keyless entry/alarm. I had quotes anywhere from 160 to 350 to have it re-installed.

210 seems a little steep for just an alarm

well i found a best buy a few hours away that will do it for $150, im gonna check a local shop thats done autostarts to, to see if they think they can do it.

The install at $210 divided by 3 hours = $70.00/Hr for shop labor (assuming no additional parts required), at my old shop we started at $75/hr, BUT it also depends on the car and the number of additional parts (relays, diodes, etc) required to do the install the way you want it done.

Now it is my experience that you are more likely to find parts, warranty assistance and additional/replacement remotes for the Viper vs. Audiovox.

For cheap alarms, buy the one sold at your local install shops. The only time you will save money purchasing an alarm separately is when you purchase the more expensive alarms as shop labor rates don't change, but the install does take longer.

Good Luck

BestBuy's install price on those is pretty fair, just make sure you get a knowledgeable installer. There's some that are geniuses, and some that are just there for a job.

Or try it yourself, it's fun lol.

ur better off buying an alarm off of the shop...i made that mistake of buying an alarm from sonic for $100 and i got WHACKED for $250 to install it...the guy quote me $175 but another guy did the install and said $250...buy it from the shop and ull actually save money

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Gatman

10+ year member
Gatman
Milbank, SD
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from