2016 sierra alt or battery upgrade first?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Angel5746

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everybody I have a 16 sierra stock battery and amp. I currently bought 4 8in sundown subs and will connect them to a 1200.1 Rockford Fostgate. Eventually on planning on upgrading to a 2500 amp, and I’m running a second amp for my door speakers. My question is what should I upgrade first,my alt or battery and which one?

Hello everybody I have a 16 sierra stock battery and amp. I currently bought 4 8in sundown subs and will connect them to a 1200.1 Rockford Fostgate. Eventually on planning on upgrading to a 2500 amp, and I’m running a second amp for my door speakers. My question is what should I upgrade first,my alt or battery and which one?

Personally I'd do a big alt and the big 3 first. Batts just hold you up at a lower voltage and alt will keep you at a higher voltage.

Something you can adjust later on might be helpful if you ever plan to install lithium

Play a test tone at night with headlights on. If the headlights dim and stay dim throughout the tone, you need more alternator. If your headlights dim at first then brighten while still playing the tone, you need more battery.

What does your stock alternator put out, and why do you think you need more electrical power?

Play a test tone at night with headlights on. If the headlights dim and stay dim throughout the tone, you need more alternator. If your headlights dim at first then brighten while still playing the tone, you need more battery.

What does your stock alternator put out, and why do you think you need more electrical power?
I think my stock alt puts out 150 amps and I think I need to upgrade my electrical because my dashboard dims on and off a bit when I’m playing my music loud at night driving with my headlights on or when I’m stopped at a red light

I think my stock alt puts out 150 amps and I think I need to upgrade my electrical because my dashboard dims on and off a bit when I’m playing my music loud at night driving with my headlights on or when I’m stopped at a red light
Check all electrical connections and ground and get your battery tested if it is not new. 150a alternator should have no problem keeping up with 2kw.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...