2012 GTI - Help me upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jcway16

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently picked up a low mileage 2012 GTI to use as a fun commuter so as to keep mileage off of my two other cars.

My commute is about 60 miles each way, with my commute to work having a bit of traffic towards the end, so a bit of time is spent in this car daily.

I like to listen to alternative/rock (Taking Back Sunday, Greta Van Fleet, Incubus, etc) and some hip hop (Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.)

Right away I felt like I needed to upgrade the stock stereo system, it sounded like I was in a 25 year old car.

One of my other vehicles is a 2016 F150 XLT with the base audio system which I ‘upgraded’ by adding the Kicker VSS plug-n-play system that is specific to my truck. It utilizes an 8” sub and an additional amp that adds oomph to the stock speakers. This system has sounded great to me and is exactly what I’m looking for in this new commuter.

My GTI has the RCD510 head unit which I’ve been told can be very underpowered for the stock speakers.

Seeing some deals, I picked up a Kicker Key 200.4 mini-amp and (4) Kicker KS 6.5” speakers. After install I have NOT been impressed, the bass is ok’ish and they sound very bright and turning the volume up is ear scorching, NOT in a good way.

Utilizing the Kicker Key 200.4 mic really did not help at all and the stock head-unit EQ has me adjusting all over the place, I can NOT get it to sound right.

Now I’m not sure what to do…
Add a powered sub to the current set-up?
Leave the Key 200.4 installed and swap the stock speakers back in?
Add a powered sub to the stock speakers?

I did a full system years ago on a Grand Cherokee that I had and felt like it was a big waste of money, it never impressed me and I’d rather not go down another rabbit hole like that.

I do not want to spend a ton on this car as it is my beater commuter. But, I DO love the Kicker VSS plug-n-play system in my F-150.

Thoughts???

You just want a little better sound?
I had a 2011 GTI for a while and if I remember the HVAC controls are in the radio.
So IMO you need a sub and set of comps up front
You can try with one 8 but I don't think it's going to do what you want
1 10 and a set for 5.25 or 6.5 comps up front should do the trick
If your looking for decent equipment for a really reasonable price look into soundqubed or American Bass
Been seeing alot of problems with the SFB sundown amps around here lately or maybe it was the SIA line so you m ight want to steer clear besides you wont need that much power anyway
So just for an example
sub
https://soundqubed.com/product/hds2-2-series-600w-subwoofer/
amp for sub
https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-850-monoblock-amplifier/
Front end is a matter of taste
Any 4x75 or higher amp should do it but speakers are something everyone differs on
It all depends on what you like
I suggest going to your local shop and listening to a few sets before making a choice
In any case expect to pay $300-400 for the amp and speakers for a decent yet cheaper combo
You will also need a DSP
The Dayton DSP-408 or the Audio control LC6i are priced with in reason and good products

Thanks for all of the info, some of which may be further than I’d like to delve in to with this car.

Looking at the Eonon GA9453B and it seems VERY promising.

I wanted to stick to the stock RCD510 head-unit for aesthetics (even though it looks very dated) and it’s smooth functioning, but this Eonon unit could look ‘updated stock’ in the car.

My thought is picking up the Eonon GA9453B
and running these Kicker KS 6.5’s off of that, returning the Kicker Key200.4 and possibly adding a powered sub.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the Eonon GA9453B?
Is it glitchy at all?
Will all of my steering wheel controls still function as normal?
Should I add the powered sub under the passenger seat, spare tire area or side of the rear hitch area tucked away?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...