2012 Dodge Challenger SXT Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

SydBarrett

I currently have the stock 6 speakers - 2 rear, 2 side and 2 up front in dash. There's actually a hole already for a dash center for a total of 7. These front 3 are 3.5", and my question is do i need a 8 channel amp to power all these and a sub? Or just leave these 3 to stock amp and get a 5 channel vor the rest? Im on a tight budget so im thinking the latter.

Also, has anyone installed a low-mount sub in the pre made hole thats in the rear deck? Curious how you like it.

I got a 2011 r/t. Here's what I did...

I took everything out and replaced the front door speakers and the dash speakers with a good component set. I used a four. Channel to power them. I guess you could run a two channel if you use cross covers. You could also use a four channel and use two channels for the crossovers and bridge the other two for a sub. I would definitely use an enclosure for any aftermarket sub.

How much of the stock system you willing to get rid of? There are plenty of options

Im a newbie so looking for something decent sounding but not show stopping on a budget, just a nice upgrade over the stock. Dumb question - if you buy a component set, does it come with the 3.5" dash speakers or is that a completely separate purchase?

Heres what id like to do...also need to find an installer here in atlanta. I have a recommendation for Straight Drop but would like some more.

- pioneer fhx500ui or kenwood dpx300u head unit

- precision power or kenwood 5 channel amp for the 4 fronts/dash and sub.....so the 2 rears can just go off the stock amp? I guess i can forget about the dash center for now.

- 6.5" component set for fronts (see question above for dash speaker questions) and 6x9 coaxials for back.....thinking jbl, infinity or pioneer

- jl audio 8" microsub or a custom 10" box with a good budget sub or maybe 2

Any ideas/recommendations are really appreciated.

Most components come with a 6.5 inch speaker and a tweeter. Some "tweeters" are bigger than others. Even if you wind up with one that is smaller than a 3.5 the shop should be able to build the baffel for it. Basically a bracket that will use the pre-drilled holes of the truck and make the speaker hole smaller to hold the new tweeter.

Personally I would forget about the back speakers altogether. You don't need them. Save that money and put it towards the rest of the system. If you are dead set on keeping them you can run them off of the head unit. Not sure if you can tap into the stock amp, but it may be possible. I would look at some components that are less mainstream. Hybrid audio technologies make some good components but it is dependent on your budget.

Are you looking for direct fits? The front door speakers are 6x9s. You could always check the classifieds on here. Does your challenger have the upgraded system in it already?

OK same goes for the components. If you find a good pair of 6.5s cheap no worries. That baffel can also be made yo make them fit. Good luck with your search. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

1 more thing - what do you think about just doing 2 3.5" in the dash, and 2 coaxial 6x9s in the doors? Polk DB series or Infinity looks good for this. Dont even mess with components/baffles and just do it pretty standard.

Thanks top dawg.

I would still get a 5 channel as i would still add a sub.

How do i check the ohm compatibility? Ive read 4 ohm is pretty standard but not sure how to check, say, the precision power amps specs compatibility with the 4 ohm polks.

If the speakers are 4 ohms then look at the amps info and see what the output is at 4 ohms per channel. That way you don't give the speakers too little or too much power. Ever thought of just getting a four channel and a mono for the sub? The Kenwood head unit you posted has three rca preouts. That's just an idea. I just never liked the idea of the mids and highs being on the same amp as the sub. I think JL makes a decent five channel. Not sure about price though

Ok, top dawg, here's my final thoughts/setup/questions. Let me know what you think and thank you for all the help!

- head unit: love the price point of the pioneer fhx500ui, but it only has 2 sets of preouts.......im looking at the kenwood dpx300u for a few dollars more because it has 3 sets - if im hooking up a 5 channel amp (see below), won't i need 1 set for the dash speakers, 1 set for the door speakers and 1 set for the sub? the rear speakers can just be run off the head unit....i will not be keeping my steering wheel controls (extra $$ for kit)

- amp: 5-channel, either precision power p900.5, precision power i640.5 or kenwood kac 7005ps....all should match well with the 4 ohm speakers i list below as well as the sub.....question - max rms for the 3.5" speakers is only like 40 rms.....will that be a problem if the amp is 70 or even 100 rms or should i look for something (like the kenwood) that's around 40 rms?.......after further reading, i might very well go to the separate 4-channel and mono amp for the sub....i won't be installing anyway, so no need to keep it ultra simple anymore

- speakers: polk db 351 for dash, polk db 691 for doors and polk db 651 for rears....might go to the JBL GO line here if the $$ are significantly less.......or maybe even pioneer's lower to mid lineup

- subs: (2) image dynamics 8" regular subs, dual-voice, and will wire them for the 4ohms......quick question though that might have me change to wiring them to 2 ohm or even to Sundown depending on my amp choice - can i run 4 ohm speakers and then a 2 ohm sub on the same 5 channel amp if i decide to go that route? i've read you can.......i'll also get a custom box from ebay made for dodge challengers for this for my rear trunk

- installation - any idea how much this all might cost to install? i'm thinking, with wires, etc., $400-$500 or so

- challengers have a roughly 150-160 amp alternator......any problems running either a 4 ohm or 2 ohm setup with the above? do i even need the big 3?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.