2012 Civic LX Build for TOTAL BEGINNER.

Rhythm
10+ year member

Hello!

I've been lurking here for a few months after purchasing a 2012 Civic LX Sedan (without the "premium audio system"). It's my first car and while the stock audio equipment is decent, I feel that with as much as I enjoy music upgrading it might be a good choice.

As stated in the title, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff so I have been scouring the internet (various forums, crutchfield, etc.) trying to research and learn as much as I can.

So, from what I've researched, I feel that the following is what I need:

- Four 6.5" speakers to replace the front and rear deck factory speakers.

- One 4-channel amplifier to power those speakers

- One (or two) subwoofers. I'm not trying to get people to hear me from a mile away.

- A monoamp to power the subwoofer(s).

- A box to enclose the subwoofer(s).

What I don't know is if I need a separate head unit. Removing the in dash unit seems a bit complicated, but wouldn't I have to remove it anyway to install a "Line Out Converter" if I were to stick with the factory head unit?

I don't need something huge and overpowering, just a nice upgrade from the factory stuff.

You guys seem really helpful and I would greatly appreciate any guidance or advice you could pass along to someone who is eager to learn.

Thoughts?

You can go with the converter but I've always thought aftermarket head units sounded better. My wife has an '03 Honda Odyssey we did the line out converter and I personally thought it sounded like shlt. I finally got her a cheap Alpine HU and it's much better! What kind of budget do you have?

Hmm...so maybe investing in an aftermarket head unit would be the better option?

As far as budged is concerned, I wasn't thinking that a "smaller" upgrade to the soundsystem would cost more than $500-$600. Am I foolish in thinking that?

Hmm...so maybe investing in an aftermarket head unit would be the better option?
As far as budged is concerned, I wasn't thinking that a "smaller" upgrade to the soundsystem would cost more than $500-$600. Am I foolish in thinking that?
Is 500-600 the most you want to spend on Front Stage / Rear Stage upgrade or for total upgrade? front/rear/sub new deck etc..?

Based on the products I was looking at I didn't think that I would have to exceed that price.

If what I need exceeds that, then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Edit: I was expecting that price range WITHOUT having too add an aftermarket head unit. I understand that if it needs to be included the overall price will go up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Head Unit - 100$

Component Speakers - 150$

Speaker Amp for comps - 150$

Subwoofer - 150$ (Medium level sub)

Sub amp - 200$ (Depending on brand/quality)

Enclosure - 45$ for MDF and design

Probably close to 150$ for all of the wires required by these amps/subs/speakers.

So I see that you guys recommend Sundown as a reputable sub, and there's a dealer on here selling a SUNDOWN AUDIO E-12 DUAL 2 OHM for $99 shipped.

It seems like a good price....am I right in thinking that? Like I said before, I don't need anything too overpowering so having multiple subs seems a bit too much.

What is a good amp to pair with this? And where could I have a custom box built?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.