2004 Pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post Zane, pretty much cleared anything I had in question up, and the rest is just difference of opinion (and if everybody thought the same the world would be a boring place IMO), so it's all good man. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The mustang always had more ponies under the hood? Always had agressive lines? Heh. You must be thinking of a different Mustang. Especially the early 80's. *shudder*

the reason 5.0s are so popular is because they are cheap and have cheap aftermarket, whereas parts for an LS1 cost 2x's more. yes a 2002 Camaro SS is faster than a 02 GT but with an extra 3 grand you can put a supercharger on it and be running 400hp easy.

1. 5.0s and new Mustangs are far from the same thing. 5.0 ended in 95 and all the new ones are 4.6 modular motors. Regardless I get your point.

2. What does the 5.0's popularity have to do with this post? Not bashing but you just seemed to come out of left field with that last one wErd.

3. For another three grand you could supercharge an LS1 and be running 450 HP easily, and there isn't enough price difference between a newer Mustang and a newer Camaro/Firebird to say it costs so much more to pick up an LS1 car and make it fast. And in all honestly, your post isn't even relevant because...

4. For half the cost of either of the cars new you could a tin can (Pinto or the like) and drop in a 500 HP motor with money left to spare. Anything can be modded to be fast.

What Wonderbread was trying to say is early 80s, 'Stangs everybody. Their carbed 5.0 put out about 100 horsepower it was so laden with hastily designed

I agree with one thing about the GTO, this car is designed especially for 35-50 year old men.

No offense, but it seems that there is a stereotype about people who drive Firebirds/camaros, (not a good one) and that group has been afraid to buy one because of this. I hadnt thought about it before, but mediocrity seems to be a selling point of this vehicle. Notice that cops don't chase down old people in a buick going 5 over, but if it's some guy in a 'Bird he burns rubber to bust em'?

they should bring back the pinto!!!!!!

YEAH!!!
It's a concept right now. I think they are calling it the Messenger or something.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Fugly arse pile of dog doo doo IMHO there too.

That car has no sexy lines at all.

You get a cookie though. Pinto Rocks! :p

What Wonderbread was trying to say is early 80s, 'Stangs everybody. Their carbed 5.0 put out about 100 horsepower it was so laden with hastily designed

I agree with one thing about the GTO, this car is designed especially for 35-50 year old men.

No offense, but it seems that there is a stereotype about people who drive Firebirds/camaros, (not a good one) and that group has been afraid to buy one because of this. I hadnt thought about it before, but mediocrity seems to be a selling point of this vehicle. Notice that cops don't chase down old people in a buick going 5 over, but if it's some guy in a 'Bird he burns rubber to bust em'?
The early carbed 5.0L of the 80's was more around 165hp (Just Pre- CFI) IIRC.

The engine itself still gained more power each year however, and eventually spun off it's own High Output (HO) version.

Ford had severe money issues going into the 80's, hence the lack of several options, and actual power output, among other things.

Power output from early 80's V8's in darn near any make was nothing but embarasing. This was primarily due to the call for more strict emissions as allready mentioned.

It was a pivotal time if re-designing, re-engineering, and re-thinking for the Auto Industry as a whole, not just Ford.

Honestly, I think the styling on a lot of the early 80's stuff was cool.

I'm kinda biased though, as I currently drive a 83 Cougar as a show car. I also favor re-building darn near all Fox Chasis cars from the 80's. Have owned 4 Fox Tbirds, 2 Fox Cougars, and 2 Fox Mustangs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Back to the stang though- the body's are still around because stang enthusiasts still desire them. That and a little something that started with the 83 stang 2.3L called SVO. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (Those are definately a car to go into the most desired catagory! )

You are dead on with the stereotype.

You have a Stang, Firebird, Camaro, or generally any other killer looking car, you are almost guaranteed to be targeted based on what you are driving rather than what you may or may not be doing.

Yes Virginia, the stereotype does exist......

Forget it... The age of the American performance car is drawing to a close. The only real performance cars left made by American companies are the Mustang and all it's iterations, the GT40, and the Vette. The road belongs to the imports now. You've got the WRX STi, the Evo VIII, the RX-8, the G35 (the American version of the Skyline, with it's big brother, ther V35 Skyline GT-R, set to debut in 2005 or 2006), the 350z, and a new Supra in 2005. Plus, you can't forget the BMWs and Porches and all those cars. The only decent looking and performing cars I've seen come out of an American factory, other than the three mentioned earlier, is the Chrysler 300 and the Crossfire, neither of which I count because it took a merger with Mercedes Benz to make the cars decent. Now, I have hope. The '05 Mustang looks good. The Pontiac Solstice looks good. The Camaro will return. The Vette will always be the Vette. And I'm spent...

Forget it... The age of the American performance car is drawing to a close. The only real performance cars left made by American companies are the Mustang and all it's iterations, the GT40, and the Vette. The road belongs to the imports now. You've got the WRX STi, the Evo VIII, the RX-8, the G35 (the American version of the Skyline, with it's big brother, ther V35 Skyline GT-R, set to debut in 2005 or 2006), the 350z, and a new Supra in 2005. Plus, you can't forget the BMWs and Porches and all those cars. The only decent looking and performing cars I've seen come out of an American factory, other than the three mentioned earlier, is the Chrysler 300 and the Crossfire, neither of which I count because it took a merger with Mercedes Benz to make the cars decent. Now, I have hope. The '05 Mustang looks good. The Pontiac Solstice looks good. The Camaro will return. The Vette will always be the Vette. And I'm spent...
No Viper? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

oh wow..wished i had seen this earlier....

man...i agree with both sides here and this is why..

1) like stated before, muscle cars were born from already existing rides, the gto came from the temptest, they just dropped a bigger motor under the hood...and a phenom was born. likewise with the new gto....the difference being...back then, noone had felt that kind of power in that kind of package...today all u gotta do is climb in any 6 series bmw, m class benz, hell even the new magnum..all have " sit u back in the seats" kinda power..also, the vette, z28, ws6..yada,yada,yada...but the new goat hauls home more then just ur ass

2) all cars aren't meant to please everybody...but then again, most today are cookiecutter

3) if u own modified cars already, it's going to be hard for ya to like anything OEM

and now on to the hint of what is to come from gm......

post-20-1092603140.jpg

post-20-1092603181.jpg

post-20-1092603227.jpg

post-20-1092603280.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^my favorite!! hehe

post-20-1092603330.jpg

how's that for bringing back a pony car?? let's hope gm does it..esp with the ls6..

btw, these rendings were done by a 19 year old trying to become a chevy engineer/ designer......current designers/engineers say this rendering could go into production fairly easily has everything is thought out...ie: u could actually put a raditor behind that grille, windows will fit into the door, etc......

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pullover.gif.ac2de04a20ebe8c72a715e86e00c8c0d.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...