2004 Glastron GX-185 boat build

Really good. The plexi glass looks awesome.
nice build..
Thanks fellas. Yeah I was excited about the plexiglass. I wish I would have thought about that before I ruined the other one with my dremel lol. I'm hoping to light it one color from inside the box and another color from the sides. We will see what I can come up with. I really want it to feel like opening a jewelry box when that seat is lifted!

GOD ****!! this is coming along beautifully. i wonder how that DC is gonna sound on the water

We finally took the boat out for the first time with the stereo and it pounds! It still needs a little tweaking and I had an issue with one of the 4" polk speakers, the glue that holds the outside of the speaker had a come-a-part... But the sub pounds pretty good. it does get louder if you raise the cover up in the back. and it moves a ton of air through the port. all in all im very happy.

The only changes that will be made before we take it out again will be... the bigger alternator will be here saturday i'll be going from a 75amp to a 140 amp. The hardest part about finding an alternator for a boat is it has to be marine grade with spark arrestors and stuff and also can't be to high output since it runs on a v-belt.

I will also be adding a second big battery. Ive got enough room to stick an 8D battery in there. it's basically 2 group 31 batterys. It is the same battery that a lot of semi truck and mobile cranes use.

I'll post some more pictures and maybe a video or two soon!

Well i got the new alternator in(going from a 75amp to a 140 amp alternator) and it looks bigger for sure but still fits in the same spot. I got new belts and will install them as well. We will see how good it keeps up next time we are on the water!

Here is the alternator sitting in its new home checking fitment.

IMG_01901_zpse244df13.jpg

a view of the back original is on left and new is on right This is a marine grade alternator

IMG_01961_zpsaefbcd45.jpg

front picture

IMG_01951_zps4eed585c.jpg

If you replace those Kenwoods, we've had good luck with Infinity's. We have an '03 Four Winns Horizon 190, similar to yours, but ours came with a folding tongue from the factory //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Haha. We started with some awdul Sony Marines and the worst Sony deck I've ever seen in my life. We now have an Alpine deck with two pairs of Infinity 6032cf's. I'm looking for a good marine sub and amp now. I tried using some car amps, but they kept overheating and turning off. But if they're fan cooled you'll be fine. Most car amps are made with air conditioning in mind, and when used outside in 90+ degrees, they overheat.

If you replace those Kenwoods, we've had good luck with Infinity's. We have an '03 Four Winns Horizon 190, similar to yours, but ours came with a folding tongue from the factory //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Haha. We started with some awdul Sony Marines and the worst Sony deck I've ever seen in my life. We now have an Alpine deck with two pairs of Infinity 6032cf's. I'm looking for a good marine sub and amp now. I tried using some car amps, but they kept overheating and turning off. But if they're fan cooled you'll be fine. Most car amps are made with air conditioning in mind, and when used outside in 90+ degrees, they overheat.

What amps have you tried? where did you have them mounted to? I'll be curious to see how this setup does. I currently have the amp mounted back by the batteries just for testing and then when i get about 20 more feet of 1/0 wire i'll mount it back under the passenger side under the glove box. We have a bimini top that shades most of the area and should cover that area almost all the time. If the high power sub and amp ends up not working in the heat very well then i'll look at the marine grade stuff as well. and probably look into 6X9's instead.

And yes i plan on a new deck and speakers. DEH-80prs and some polk or infinitys. I just like that the polks say marine grade on them.

What amps have you tried? where did you have them mounted to? I'll be curious to see how this setup does. I currently have the amp mounted back by the batteries just for testing and then when i get about 20 more feet of 1/0 wire i'll mount it back under the passenger side under the glove box. We have a bimini top that shades most of the area and should cover that area almost all the time. If the high power sub and amp ends up not working in the heat very well then i'll look at the marine grade stuff as well. and probably look into 6X9's instead.
And yes i plan on a new deck and speakers. DEH-80prs and some polk or infinitys. I just like that the polks say marine grade on them.
We have massive side pockets on our boat, and I had a Kenwood 4 channel. Can't remember the model. Just happy it died within 30 days and I could return it haha. My neighbor had a similar problem. He has an '08 24 foot Cobalt, he had CarToys (don't get me started...) do a custom install on. Wake tower speakers, and eight of the infinity marine grade speakers. His amps are all sealed in a storage compartment, and they overheated after about half an hour and shut off. I think they were MTX's. He had them replaced with Marine grade (fan cooled) and all is well now.

They make some switches that will allow the second battery to charge, but wont let the main starting battery get drained. You might want to look into them.

They make some switches that will allow the second battery to charge, but wont let the main starting battery get drained. You might want to look into them.

I have been looking into them and plan on installing one. I still need to pick up some more wiring and another battery. I'll be working on measurements and drawing up a new wiring schematic this week.

ours has the 4.3L Volvo penta 190 hp its pretty fast and seems very bullet proof! i'm going to try a few different impellers soon and see what i like. we are toping out at about 50 mph right now but still have a great holeshot for pulling wakeboarders

We went and picked up our second battery for the boat. this thing is a beast!

IMG_02451_zps5f336d12.jpg
[/img]

1400 CCA @ 0degrees F! yes please

430 reserve capacity! sucker weighs about 120 lbs

IMG_02461_zps79fc8748.jpg
[/img]

Just got a few more things in for the boat. It is at the mechanic right now getting freshened up for summer but i'll have a few things to install when it gets back.

This is the smart battery isolator that will keep my starting battery seperate from the audio /aux battery. It has an indicator light and a remote indicator light "status" that you could mount anywhere and also a wire for a remote button that you can install to "boost" the two batteries together if you needed.

IMG_03041_zps4e93e6a7.jpg

Here is another picture of it

IMG_03031_zps9a001b87.jpg

I also picked up another amp that i may end up using if i can find a spot to mount it...

How do you think the 10" DCXL will sound hooked up to a DD M3A...

IMG_02721_zps6f427319.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.