2001 Pyramid Cdr86dx Am/fm/cd/cd-r/cd-rw Player

ßûmþ_§üm±hîñ
10+ year member

what do you think about it? was $239.90 now its marked down to an icredible $88.00! I hope you guys put in good words about it because i already ordered it...heres a pic

cdr86.jpg

heres the specs:

Description: 2001 PYRAMID CDR86DX AM/FM/CD/CD-R/CD-RW PLAYER 160 WATTS OF POWER! BRAND NEW IN THE BOX Model = CDR86DX AM/FM-MPX CD Player w/Flip Down Detachable Face AM/FM-MPX Electronic Tuning Receiver PLL Synthesized Tuning Anti-Theft Full-Face Detachable Compact Disc Player Wireless Remote Control 1-Bit D/A Converter 3 Beam Laser Tracking 8X Oversampling Digital Filter Anti-Skip Mechanism Auto Power Loading Random Repeat, Intro, Segment Repeat Track Skip-Forward Reverse Minute, Second & Track Display 30 Station Memory 18FM/12AM Electronic Audio Control: Volume, Balance, Bass, Treble, & Fader Digital Clock With Recall Auto Best Station Memory/Preset Scan Local/Distance, Mono Stereo Switch Loudness & Mute Button RCA Preamp Output Full Illuminationh & Carrying Case US/European Frequency Compatible ISO-DIN Chassis 160 Watts High Power

Well, how can I put this......

Since you have allready ordered it, retract the order in favor of a better quality unit- or design a nice ad for ebay.

The features this Pyramid unit claims, are not even found together on Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer, etc units below the $350 range.

Pyramid highly exaggerates thier products, and the quality is very lacking. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am just telling it like it is.

take it easy,

-zane

The first thing that catches my attn. is that it says flip down face. Why would it have a flip down face if the cd slot is already accessible? Sounds like a waste of time, money, and a marketing tool.

I would doubt the durability of the buttons, and the display will probably look very sloppy.

If there's one type of product I'm afraid of when it comes to low end companies it would have to be players. I think there's way too much precision that goes into making a nice hu to try to do it cheap.

Then again, you don't know until you try.

Zane- this HU was priced at $240, its been marked down alot on the site because its one of the "daliy specials". I dont understand how you could have a bad quality cd player...they all play the same...all im really worried about is skipping, when a cd player skips it has to be the most annoying thing in the world!

n2audio- HU's have detachable faces so nobody will steal it, if you were going to steal a cd player and it had no buttons i think you would move on to another car. What do you mean the durability of the bottons will be bad, its not like their going to melt or anything, and i dont think their just going to fall off....and what do you mean when you say the display will look sloppy? One small reason why i bought it was because it matches the color of my car almost perfectly, from the picture, so it wont look bad inside...

later, Nick

I didnt flame their opinions...i respect their opinions but maybe i dont agree totaly. To tell the truth im just kind of in denial that i just wasted $90 on a cd player that the "pros" say is junk, no flame intended Zane or n2audio, later, Nick

Originally posted by ßûmþ_§üm±hîñ I didnt flame their opinions...i respect their opinions but maybe i dont agree totaly. To tell the truth im just kind of in denial that i just wasted $90 on a cd player that the "pros" say is junk, no flame intended Zane or n2audio, later, Nick
None taken- dont worry about it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Basically, its not just that HU that I am questioning, it is Pyramid in general. They do not have the greatest track record out there...

Several reliability issues are my main concern, as to this day, I have not seen even a properly installed pyramid product that functions as it is claimed to, or lasts longer than a few hours after install.

Flea Market merchandise is just that.......

You will find that there are several that share my concerns regarding Pyramid, better to just look for something else.

take it easy,

-zane

well i cant speak for anyone else but myself, but from my experience with pyramid i would have to advise anyone and everyone against buying fromt hat company. I bought a pair of "300W" 6x9 fullrange speakers for my camaro a while back. I thought "omg! i got awsome speakers so dirt cheap!" well i trully did get what i paid for. I decided after installing them and removing the stock speakers to reinstall the stock speakers b/c they were so bad. If at all possible i would suggest that you return it and cut your losses. I recomend pioneer. I am extremly happy with my pioneer. The only prob i have had with my pioneer HU is that when it gets real cold out and i eject a cd i cant reload a new cd into it until it warms up. No big deal but a little of a pain in the ass when i dont feel l ike listening to talk radio in the morning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.... anyway im sure it was a fluke and prob easly fixable, im not bothering b/c i plan on egtting a new one soon and putting this one into my piece of **** 1990 geo prizm.. hehe anyhow good luck.. LuRp

ok...i havnt got a single good report on this HU //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif so now it would be nice to know how to "take back" my order from cmttrading.com, and while your there you can check through the pages and see if there is anything worth buying from that site, if not just give me a few links where i can get a good quality HU for under $150, thanks alot guys, Nick

I too have seen problems with pyramid. Two 1000 watt 10" subs, well let me just say this, we will pretend they were 1000 watts. Both of them blew with 250 Wrms, and they were 500 Wrms rated. I hooked them up for a friend, set his gains and fine tuned his system. The subs looked kinda cool, but they blew in less than an hour. Got two replacements, they blew in less than 30 minutes of play time. Threw a pair of jensen 10's in his ride, and he is still "bumpin" almost 2 years later. Same amp, same setup. I would not trust pyramid, pay an extra $100 to $200 and get a quality hu. If they won't take the pyramid hu back, then maybe bash it in with a hammer. (anyone with better suggestions). Just my thoughts. Peace

Originally posted by ßûmþ_§üm±hîñ ...they all play the same...all im really worried about is skipping, when a cd player skips it has to be the most annoying thing in the world!

n2audio- HU's have detachable faces so nobody will steal it. What do you mean the durability of the bottons will be bad, its not like their going to melt or anything, and i dont think their just going to fall off....and what do you mean when you say the display will look sloppy?

later, Nick
They do all play the same, but skipping would certainly be of concern. Am I saying it will skip? No, actually, I'm curious to find out, maybe it will do fine.

I didn't say detatchable, I said flip down. A flip down face is only useful if the cd slot isn't accessible through the face. Flip downs are nice b/c one, they protect the cd mechanisms from dirt and moisture, and two, they allow more room on the faceplate for a bigger display. If this player, as it appears to, only has a flip down to say it has a flip down then I think it's safe to say it's simply a marketing gimmick and serves no real purpose (Typical Pyramid). Maybe the product description just isn't clear.

The display -- minor detail, maybe hard to read in the daylight, or has bright spots and dark spots when it's illuminated.

Durability of the buttons -- I had a legacy tape player about 8 years ago or so, after a few months of use the volume knob started shorting out, you had to wiggle it to get it to work. Then when I hit a bump it would get louder or quieter or I'd lose sound all together. Or the radio station buttons wore so quickly that I could hit the dash board and it would change stations.

Originally posted by ßûmþ_§üm±hîñ ok...i havnt got a single good report on this HU //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif so now it would be nice to know how to "take back" my order from cmttrading.com, and while your there you can check through the pages and see if there is anything worth buying from that site, if not just give me a few links where i can get a good quality HU for under $150, thanks alot guys, Nick
I hope you don't cancel, I'd like to hear the report. Maybe it's a decent cheap player and you'll love it. Pyramid has a pretty good warranty (I think) so if it falls apart I would think they'd take care of you.

I've dealt with pyramid...and everything has ****** its own poop shoot.

CMT trading will never take anything back. Ive ordered some audiobahns from them...very nice actually, but I'd never get them to takem back....you'll honestly have to go through pyramid...or ***** and pay shipping back to CA

well i sent them an e-mail this morning before school (22nd) and i got a reply when i got home and it said they will reply in 48 hours...they better not ship that HU before they reply...i dont want it anymore...

is Clairon a good brand?

calrion is good... But, theres always a but //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif MY experience with clarion wasnt the best... about 6 months after i bought the hu, the display broke and i needed to buy a new face for it.... not the biggest deal but was still a pain in the ass. Again i cant recomend pioneer enough for HU's. They are superior in my opinion and as far as the bucks are concerned, they are well within your budget. Good luck

LuRp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.