2001 LX470 audio - getting overwhelmed with choices, need help

Participant count
  • Participant list

katit

CarAudio.com Newbie
New here, looking for suggestions. I need nice sounding stereo system. I never had anything custom, just factory stuff in my cars. In my M3 stock audio is just fine with me, this is so you understand I'm not audiophile but I do understand what is highs and mid-bass. I would say I like nice "juicy" sound but don't care about sub so much. And I don't listen all that loud. Just clarity of sound is important.

I started to research various installs specific to this car in Q, what people do, what they say and just got confused overall...

What I have now:
Factory stereo, Mark Levinson. 3-way components in front doors, something in back doors, 6in sub in trunk.
Front doors speakers 6 1/2, 2.5 mids, ~1 tweeters.
Rear door speakers I think 6x9 but I read in other topics it's 4in speakers. Didn't open doors to confirm yet.
This is ALL factory stuff. ALL of those speakers have torn surrounds and not good as is.

Audio "clipping" right now. When I turn volume high - sound just shuts down for a second or so and then comes back. Does it indicate blown amp?

I bought A6 Pro 2 DIN Android Audio from Amazon. So I do have head unit I'm going to install, this is decided on for all around functionality.

What I can do from cheapest to expensive, no preference, I want your input on those and which way you would go. My budget is up to $500

CHOICE 1:
Buy refoam kit for speakers (about $60) and fix factory speakers in doors. Wire directly from stereo to factory speakers.
From radio specs: Pre-Amplifier: Built-in Max 4*49W BTL Amplifier with RMS 4*29W (Vcc=14.4v,THD=10%); It can drive both 4Ω & 2Ω door speakers! Be aware that only emphasizing higher max power out does not make any sense, as RMS power out is the most acceptable and practical indicator (non-distorted) to tell its max performance for daily listening!

CHOICE 2:
Get new speakers and drive them from radio's built-in amp. This is whole another headache but I can pick correct speakers matched for power output of radio. Might be best? Because I can get correct speakers for power and maybe new technologies will result in better sound?

CHOICE 3:
Get new speakers and AMP, use RCA line level outputs on stereo. Most expensive choice, hardest install.

Given those choices, what do you think I should do? And given my budget, will I get NICE sound if I go CHOICE 2/3?
Obviously if #2 or 3 suggested - I am looking for speaker suggestions as well. And AMP.

Last edited:
The guys at Ih8 mud will tell you to refoam. This is a less than easy vehicle to do aftermarket but easier on the pre 2003

Correct.. And I probably would do that IF my amp was healthy. I think this "clipping" is indication of blown amp, and then it get's expensive if I want to keep it stock.

Factory speakers is 2Ohm if I am not mistaken.

Right now I want to make a plan and go with it. Just don't want to do it twice. If someone told me that factory speakers sound just as good as modern systems - I would totally refoam and go with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.