2 subs or 1?

Participant count
  • Participants list

JSMCO

CO
Hi Guys,

I have a 2008 Dodge RAM 1500.  Kenwood Excelon 793, AudioControl three.2, Old school Boston SPZ60 front doors, Boston Pro 6.0 rear doors, Boston 10.5 Pro 2 ohm sub.  (Single Voice Coil)  Rockford Punch 801x running the mids, Rockford Punch 500S running the sub.  I just discovered after about 10 years that the sub is 2ohm, thus the amp is not bridged, just running the sub off one channel, but it hits hard and clean, always has.  The sub is in a small sealed fiberglass enclosure under the rear driver's side seat. It's odd shaped to conform to the vehicle, but I'd guess by measuring it's about .35 cubic ft volume.  Tiny but the Boston sub never seemed to mind.  The amp says it's 250w RMS per channel at 2 ohms, 500w bridged at 4 ohms.  The Boston Sub says it's rated for 50-1100w. 

So I'd like to get use from both channels on my amp, one is just going to waste.  I am not sure what would be the best way to go and I'd really like some suggestions, which could include "just leave it as is" which is fine with me if you guys feel I'd see little improvement for extra time & money.  Please forgive my noob questions: 

1.  I actually have another identical Boston sub.  I like the one I have so much, I bought this one as a spare in case the old one ever blew.  So option 1 would be have another good enclosure built, run the 2nd sub off the amp's other channel at 250w, and put it under the rear passenger seat. 

2.  I could buy a dual voice coil 2 ohm sub and wire it to present 4 ohms to the amp or a 4 ohm svc sub so I could bridge the amp and just stick with one sub that would get 500w instead of 250.  I'm looking at:

Rockford  P3D2-10    JL Audio 10W3v3-4  Pioneer TS-D10D2  (My box top mounting depth is right at 6 1/4".  The Rockford says mounting depth 6 3/16" so no room to spare.  The other two would have a bit more clearance.  Should there be any gap between the bottom of the sub and the bottom of the enclosure?  I like my bass deep & tight, not boomy.  I like the sound of bass like ZZ Top, Steve Winwood, etc.  

3.  Is there any type of device that would cause the current SVC 2 Ohm sub to present 4 ohms to the amp bridged?  Something that goes inline between the amp and the sub or otherwise?  I'd have no problem just running my one Pro 10 at 500w if that is possible.

Thanks in advance very much for any input, and again, please forgive if my questions are sub-101 level for you guys.

Hi,

if you want more bass, seems the easiest and cheapest way is to use the 2nd sub and amp you already have, giving each sub 250w.  I have the Boston Pro 12 svc 4 ohm powered with 600 w and it sounds quite good.  I have asked if 1000/1200w would make much difference and the consensus is not much(on another forum), so 250 to 500 probably won’t make much of a difference either.  Might as well use the spare sub, if not abused should last forever?

Thanks for the reply Carloss.  I actually ended up just buying an Alpine PDR M65 Amp which the certificate said puts out 796 watts and can run a 2 OHM sub.  The single Boston now really sounds great and it was much easier and cheaper to just swap out the amp than to have to pay for a 2nd enclosure.  So I got to keep my storage space under the passenger rear seat, I have an extra Boston if mine ever craps out, I have a good old school Rockford Punch 500S amp in my garage cabinet along with too many other old goodies, and my Truck sounds great!   

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.