2 channel bass....

Participant count
  • Participant list
If we are going to start worrying about perceived stereo separation from our subs, then we first should talk about taking them out of our trunks and figuring out how to cram them into our front stage. ;)

The confined space of a vehicle means 1) we are very limited on mounting locations for drivers with a lot of cone area and enclosure space requirements, and 2) the comparatively small space in a vehicle versus a room means those pressure cues he is referring to will/would be much less distinct from one side to the other in a car.

High end SQ competitors probably think about that stuff, but most of us don't need to.

Everything audioholic said is correct. I will also add that a large majority of bass in music is mono. I can’t really even think of a song that has stereo bass.

music is not recorded in 2.2, its recorded in 2.1. If we talking about movies then yes two subs are good because the source quality has built in information to utilize that. Music, is a complete wasted effort to do stereo subs because it mostly does not exist for 99% of the songs out there.

Solid logic... I'm installing subs(2) on the rear package shelf they'll be firing at my shoulders so an argument for stereo subs seemed doable, but at this point as Jeff points out there aren't files I'd be playing that would make it worth the effort. So what does the amp situation look like with 2 x 1 ohm subs @ 125 rms look like as mono? Would it be a 2 channel amp? Would a bass re-constructor generate only in mono?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.