2.5V vs 4.0V pre amps.

Only difference I noticed is it's easier to tune your monoblock amplifier when using stock speakers because the volume can be lower without maxing the amplifier.

^ Not sure what that means....

You'd just have to turn the gain up more for 2.5v, which might increase the chances of distortion, depending on the amp quality. The only HU I have dealt with are 4v and 5v. I didn't hear any difference going down 1v...

I have a kenwood single din with 2.5v. I like the deck alot, would it even be worth it to sell it and order a new deck with 4v+ pre amps?

I think so, yes. Others may disagree. At least if your hooking any amps up to it, yes. IMO

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

I think so, yes. Others may disagree. At least if your hooking any amps up to it, yes. IMO
Or just buy what quackhead mentioned.

There are plenty of SQ installs with 2V preouts. All other things being equal I would prefer 4V because it helps in gain matching but IMO it's NOT worth persuing on its own merits. That said, HU's with 4-5 v preouts tend to be more SQ oriented for other reasons, so there's definitely a chance that a different HU could sound better than what you have.

Is there a direct correlation between preout voltage and SQ? No, but decks with higher preouts tend to be geared more towards SQ. Keep in mind that real old school SQ decks had preout voltages as low as 200mV (or 0.2V)

no. the thing you need to look up on a deck is the output indepence ohms on the outputs not the voltage. the higher then ohms the worse your deck is, so the lower ohms the better sq u have.i have a mmats amp and it says it has a max of 2 volts and i am using a 4volt preout. most decks put out an average of 1 volt unless you have it maxed out then it is higher but most of the time u have 1

if your not trying to get every watt out of your amps 4/5v preouts would benefit you. running amp for highs at 4 ohms or higher and say you have a mono amp capable of 1 ohm but running it at 2 or higher etc the higher v preouts will help a little. if running amps to full pot like bridging a 4ch to your front stage and mono amp at 1ohms or less then it really wont matter so much but i will say quality of the deck itself is most important.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.