2 18" DC LVL 5's in GMC JIMMY box design HELP!!!

I have to keep it under the back seat line other wise I will move up two classes in Meca competitions. I realize this is UNDER the recommended specs for DC LVL 5 18's but Rusty said he actually has build a box at 7 cubes for 2 and thought it would have really degraded the sound level and sound quality but SQ was still right on with a 16 cube box and .5db was lost on SPL. So I realize this is going to be tough.
HOWEVER I can get my hands on 1 inch MDF or 1 1/8 inch MDF to strengthen the walls, bracing, front baffle and all.

So let me know as it looks like you are asking all the questions I need answers to.
Sorry but I think that is a big line of BS from Rusty if that is so. I refuse to believe that a 9 cube difference on two 18"s sounded just as good and only lost .5db. I would love to put money up on that, and have some lvl 5s of my own that I would guarantee will change drastically. I dont mean to sound like an ass but I guess I will just let you find out the hard way if you believe that is true, I only had 10 cubes to work with below my window line so that is why I got recones from Rusty to make them 15s so they could be sufficient in the space I have. If the recones ever get here I will do enclosure tests to see if going to nearly 1/3 the recommend enclosure will really only drop me .5db. Assuming same power and tuning, he must not have paid any attention to what he wrote.

there are more things that play into the number than enclosure size.

im not defending anyone though.....just stating a fact.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

there are more things that play into the number than enclosure size.

im not defending anyone though.....just stating a fact.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
No i totally agree. Im just stating that if he had identical tuning and power, I would like to argue that 7 cubes for a pair of lvl 18s will not be just .5 less. Unless he had a really big and ineffecient box for the first score, then made a nice strong one for the the 7 cubes.

what kind of width would you have if you built over the wheel wells?
I have thought about the same thing as if the box could be cut on top and bottom to be a little abnormal than usual instead of a rectangle or square I would have a ton more room!!!

If I had to guess and be conservitive with out measuring right this minute I would say I could make the enclosure 6"-8" wider on top over the fender wells and come all the way back with this space on the passenger side where my battery is now mounted for an additional box space. So if done correctly with a little more precise measurements provded by me I may be able to squeeze an extra 1.5-2 cubic feet out of it.

Iamapimp is doing my design so I will see if this is something he can throw in for me if I give him the correct measurements.

Thanks all and Bumpin you are more than likely right as I am sure he just wanted to sell me two of these monster 18's but if the first box was just built ok or thrown together it is really a high possibility Rusty's customer only lost .5db. Just throwing that out there as there are just to many variables but these things will need a lil room to breath but if done correctly which I think Iamapimp is on the right track it will do more than I want it to and if not I will just build another box or use just 1 18 for comps.

iamapimp is doing build guys and gals so thanks for all of your input and help

OH check out my last 15" Alpha I have up for sale as it is BRAND NEW LOOKN when mounted and has a basket crack but performs perfect with out any type of fix for the crack or anything yet. Selling for what you normally pay for just a motor or close anyways. CHECK IT OUT!!

Also I will possibly have SOUNDSTREAM RUBICON 702 up for sale here soon so be on the lookout as my prices are always on point!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jdubbau

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
jdubbau
evansville In
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date