1st time installing and not sure which way to wire or which amp to use

Participant count
  • Participant list

JimmySTAT718

CarAudio.com Newbie
hey so this is my first install. i have my cheap little work car an 04 ford focus and a coworker was upgrading his system and sold me his 2 12"JL AUDIO 12w1V2-4 SUBS & ENCLOSURE/BOX. So for about the past month or so i've been researching how to wire install these and i'm totally lost. so i thought id make things simple for myself bc i cant exactly afford an insanely expensive system in a beater for work especially when i have 3 kids. i just want a lil thump thump on my way to and from work. anyway i digress, so i went with the thought in my mind and intent to wally world and autozone or oreillys and bought a 1000 watt DA10004D Dual amp for the 4 Pioneer 6x8's for the front and rear doors, i got them from a friends car i'm not sure their capacity but i just wired them to the existing door wiring and then i started to run the wiring for the subs. so i have this dual XPR540 4/3/2 CHANNEL MOSFET POWER AMPLIFIER and i thought id run that to the subs.

but what i ended up doing just to see if i was doing things right was running the 2 JL AUDIO subs running them Bridged to the 1000 watt amp but i'm not sure if the amp can handle these subs or if the amp just isn't powering the subs enough bc the car doesn't sound great.

so what i was thinking was what i initially thought and to run the 2 subs to the 1200 watt amp and the 6x8's to the 1000 watt amp

SO my question is which amp should i wire the subs to and how should i wire them so i get maximum performance and do not damage the subs or the amps? I was thinking to wire the 2 JL AUDIO SUBS to the DUAL XPR540 1200 WATT AMP & wire them BRIDGED to get the 600 Watts x 2 channel @ 4 ohms or is that to much for the subs? because the peak says 600 watts but RMS shows 300, so this is where i get confused.

any help is greatly appreciated and please forgive me if i am not making sense, like i said this is all new to me my older brother did all my car installs and he's in NY and im in Louisville now and well its time to learn this for myself i feel like so thanks again everyone. below is all specs for amps and speakers and pics of the equipment i can provide

JVC KDSR80BT HEADUNIT which only has 1 set of RCA output Jacks just an fyi
this is how i currently have the SUBWOOFERS wired
https://photos.google.com/search/speakers/photo/AF1QipNcFW6cLEHzjblP9lpuUtAznmKwOQ4gCt-ksh0M

https://photos.google.com/search/speakers/photo/AF1QipNEpHCEaOq2aysMueZr-LwV67GMJ3QrZHndBZzN

UtFGgW6WXDeCJ0ZcGqnyBm6PvZduABrbFX9M5UFgNoiJSksId83ssLi_jOhzbV4V9JCx0CQrULxy1cEvkOV7cxXgi8vXzT2jRaoqk8inQm-dFsmjUyRFvo0QnApH3fC8ugiOkd1PO1-QK7KDgDxqP6doPQom3yKvzXGQnsCTbGxXi9rRkeZwCDQrczqku-pRJ5MwzdcIELhOYzm-6cNPVyfL4z60_Gpr40Al15uoVPkE7WtwtTCOgt2T2aiqI3KilkSw8XPmqYZsScE6lFO9Sb4Rz0Yx9Sv5yVcXryTp9vlJQSYsQJI3eG0r5dDSFdee59fIcjj4YBhDSCoqygPjTfDnEXja1EoEGl52eol8fIZNbMu6VALMoTzK_xgdj2_qBLiQPon5W7V_95UbMWjAmglHTE6AczRc_WpcUATWyOAs-bI28yFEiMH93I817KD8Sq-whpWMZqO63i0FAFIvPzevdXsiwoBKy5RliTPs4YO8rv_milDchRf2YwDMBZHnBEsw2qdfAbV9MhfqqW1KNx_U-pC2Q1BK_8g1CbxwY-W1TxwvsWtZRaPT2uIl5SsBo-anJ7d96m59dvq7oa-RYKiuVzfOLaheCNFnVIQxUi0DLMjs3JuV62ssU9JHndGbZYOwRTzB7rEOfWzeEQ29FwseXgv7otG5CzED034FQHtzbmhAGzF3PTHQw4F62bOSsrA619V8F5v2Caf8pU9O51CHGQ=w704-h528-no

these speakeres are not hooked up to an amp yet
JL Audio 12W1v2-4

• 12" Single 4 Ohm W1v2 Series Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 600 watts
    • RMS: 300 watts
    • Recommended Power Range: 50-300 watts
  • Impedance: Single 4 ohm
  • Injection-molded, metallic-finish polypropylene cone woofer
  • Customizable trim ring
  • Vented reinforcement collar
  • Elevated frame cooling technology
  • DMA-Optimized motor system
  • Insert molded suspension/coil/terminal sub-assembly
  • Floating Cone Attach Method
  • Interlocking Cone and Dust Cap
  • Surround Stress-Relief
  • Single 4-Ohm voice coil

1000 WATT AMP
DIGITAL 4 CHANNEL MOSFET AMPLIFIER - DA10004D
Features:
  • Class D design
  • High level inputs (speaker wire)
  • Low level inputs (RCA)
  • Variable gain adjustment (200 mV ~ 6 V)
  • Selectable crossover (high pass/low pass/full range)
  • Variable low-pass crossover (40 Hz – 250 Hz)
  • Variable high-pass crossover (40 Hz – 250 Hz)
  • Variable bass boost @ 50 Hz (0-12 dB)
  • PWM MOSFET power supply
  • Bridgeable operation for subwoofer applications
  • 2 Ohm stable stereo operation
  • Stereo/bridged simultaneous operation
  • Recommended power/ground wire: 8 AWG
  • Recommended speaker wire: 16 AWG
  • Fuse size and type: 25 A x 2 / ATO
  • Amplifier dimensions: 1.77” x 9.35” x 5” (HxWxD)
Specifications:
  • 80 Watts RMS x 4 channels @ 4 ohms
  • 120 Watts RMS x 4 channels @ 2 ohms
  • 240 Watts RMS x 2 channels @ 4 ohms (bridged)
  • Total dynamic power: 1000 Watts
  • Signal to noise ratio 100 dBA (reference: 1 Watt into 4 ohms)
  • Frequency response 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz
1200 WATT AMP
4/3/2 CHANNEL MOSFET POWER AMPLIFIER - XPR540
Features:
  • Low and high level inputs
  • Variable gain adjustment (200mV ~ 6V)
  • Selectable crossover (high pass/low pass/full range)
  • Variable low/high pass crossovers
  • Bass boost (0, 6, 12dB)
  • PWM MOSFET power supply
  • Bridgeable operation for subwoofer applications
  • 2 Ohm stable stereo operation
  • Class AB output design
  • Stereo/bridged simultaneous operation
Specifications:
  • 150 Watts x 4 channels @ 4 ohms
  • 300 Watts x 4 channels @ 2 ohms
  • 600 Watts x 2 channel @ 4 ohms (bridged)
  • Total dynamic power: 1200 Watts
  • Signal to noise ratio: 75dBA (reference: 1 Watt into 4 ohms)
  • Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz
  • Amplifier dimensions: 2.76” (H) x13.82” (W) x 10.55“ (D)
  • Typical installation dimensions: 3.75”(H) x 15.00” (W) x 11.5” (D)

Attachments

• 1622001711781.png
    1622001711781.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 51
Dual is about the bottom tier of audio brands so expect lackluster performance and premature failure regardless of what you do, but that 4 channel amps should be able to bridge into your subs. You must select "low pass" on the crossover options and set that somewhere between 80 and 100hz. Use "high pass" on the amp to your coaxials and set that at 80-100hz. If your coaxials sound strained with heavy bass songs raise the frequency of the crossover.

I can't really help you with what other options there are in the bargain isle these days and it is very difficult to predict actual power output of that sort of amp which is marketed on straight out lying about how much power it can make.

The Pioneer coaxials are probably honestly rated and anything JL is definitely honestly rated (they even have a good suggested power graph you can look at on their website).

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write back to me. I kinda figured the Dual Amps werent gonna be something to brag about. I just needed something kinds quick and on a budget I got 3 small kids 5, 3 and 9 months so spending a ton of cash wasn't in the cards right now especially bc this is like a Frankenstein system I did (being that I got different items from different people that were upgrading).lol

I always knew and heard from my older brother pioneer was ok and JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, MTX and Alpine were always his favorite brands, so being that this is just my work car I don't need anything special now once I get my new csr in the upcoming weeks bsck I will definitely be putting something nice or attempt to put something nice in that.

Again thank you for your help and I hope you can help me on my next install bc I'm just glad that I didn't F*ck anything up trying to do thisnmy first time. All in all I'm about as satisfied as I expected. I tried the little 1000w amp first and wired it bridged and thought it sounded like straight is.

So today I wired it again bridged to the 1200 watt amp and I think it hits a little harder and sounds s little better but I'm curious if I wire them "in line," I guess you would call it? Not sure of the proper terminology here. Sub 1 wire positive on sub to positive on amp and negative on sub to negative to amp and the same for sub 2? I am curious if I will get more power and harder hits? Or do you think keeping them bridged is the way to do it until I get some real deal Amps? Again I really appreciate your help and opinions and look forward to you responding agajn, thanks again bro!!!

I wire them "in line," I guess you would call it? Not sure of the proper terminology here. Sub 1 wire positive on sub to positive on amp and negative on sub to negative to amp and the same for sub 2? I am curious if I will get more power and harder hits? Or do you think keeping them bridged is the way to do it until I get some real deal Amps? Again I really appreciate your help and opinions and look forward to you responding agajn, thanks again bro!!!
Might want to post pics of what you have going on right now and we can confirm if you're doing it right or not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...