1997 Ford Explorer, wiring Aux port into CD changer line question

Participant count
  • Participant list

squidjob

Hello, this is my first post, somewhat of a novel and I apologize if its really something very simple I overlooked. I'm quite familiar with audio on the home production side but car audio eludes me. I'd like some clarification on this add-in Aux method as I'm confused about the R+ R- and L+ L-. It wouldn't allow me to link to the site so...

For ease of reference here is the excerpt I'll be working from posted on a another forum two years ago:

(Wouldn't let me add the picture) I'll attempt to in the next post. Basically it is this wiring diagram:

1 - Right Channel Signal R+

2 - Left Channel Signal L+

7 - Right Channel Signal R-

8 - Left Channel Signal L-

"Cut 1,2,7 & 8,

you'll need an RCA extension, one side male, one side female, cut that in half

solder the female side to the HU side of 1,2,7 & 8, that makes your audio in.

solder the male side to the changer side the same way, that makes an audio out.

now, when you want to play a cd, just connect the rca's together, wanna play from some other

source, disconnect the rca's and connect something else in it's place.

You should be done in ~15-20 mins, and it will cost you $5"

In response, a successful poster added this:

"i just did it!!! just cut 1,2,7,8 wires , connected 7 and 8 together. got a headphones wire with a jack, connected R+ to 1, L+ to 2 and R-L- to 7-8. now when i connect my mp3 it shuts the cd sound. but not completely tho. i'll just burn a silent track cd for now. and maybe make some kind of a switch later.

like a on-off switch on the cd 7-8 L- R- line... that should work!!

thanks to jad2411 again!!!

cheers!!

Alex"

My questions are as follows:

1) What is the purpose and routing of R+ R- and L+ L-? Balanced signal? Are they all outs from the changer? Some kind of quadraphonic setup for multiple speakers?

2) This is likely me being too literal but it appears I'm to install just one RCA Female plug to four wires on the HU side and likewise but with a male plug to the four wires on the changer side. Wouldn't I want to solder the R+ and R- together and the L+ and L- together and add an RCA jack of appropriate gender to each set to make a stereo connection that can be tapped into? Like this awful diagram I couldn't manage to get to make more sense:

H U 1_______R+

Formatting Size > --------

E N 7_______R-

A I 2_______L+

Formatting Size > --------

D T 8_______L-

This would be mirrored on the changer side. > is the solder point.

3) From the response poster, his methods make little sense to me and I don't understand how he came up with that routing. Could anyone elaborate?

4) I really feel I'm missing something simple here, If someone could draw up a diagram or take a picture of their setup I would be most appreciative. I'm really not sure which of these 4 signal wires to connect with which.

Before anyone offers the $100 PIE connection, tape adapter, or new HU; I would like to do this on the cheap, my tape adapter only plays strong through the right, and very weak through the left so I need a workaround, and I can solder this with materials I have in little to no time if I can confirm what the dual channel + and - is all about. I have attempted googling this but apparently I'm not very well versed in car audio terminology because the site I grabbed that from is the only solution I could find that offered a hardwire option particular to my HU. Any assistance would be appreciated and I can take pictures and do a proper write up for anyone in the future looking to modify their factory HU to accept an aux from MP3, Phone, Tablet, etc. because I have benefited from them in the past. Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.