1997 Ford Expedition Wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list
We have a 1997 Ford Expedition and I can't seem to find the right part that I need for our radio to work. I've tried several parts from Wal-Mart and online to see if they would fit (looking at the make/model and year that each part fits) and still didn't work. I have a picture of the back of the radio. If pictures of anything else are needed, I can provide those also.View attachment 26538205

Awesome!! Thank you so much!! I went ahead and ordered off Amazon for $5 bucks with free shipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I shouldn't need anything else with it, then? I know the harness that connects into the actual dashboard is already there and it looks like the rectangular connector on that part. So I'm crossing my fingers that this finally does it.

Update: So I bought the 70-5600 and received it, BUT here's the issue. The part that I bought only connects to the 2 connectors that are already in the car. I'm trying to connect the factory radio to the car. For some reason it does not work, and I'm not sure how to tell what the issue might be. Both opposite ends that connect into the part I bought are both there. So there's 2 ends. One of them fits into the radio (the more square one), but the longer rectangular one doesn't. It basically is just there. From each connect the colored wires that run from them, go up into the car itself. They all meet and are wrapped like it's one cable, and goes way up/down into the dash. So I don't think I need the 70-5600 part that I have since the originals are already there. I just don't know how to tell if it's the radio that's the issue, or one of the connectors, both, or something even totally different.

Yeah if you look at the picture I attached, on the left side of the radio (the part you can't see) there's a wire coming out of it. It's attached so its not like I can unattach it like I've seen alot of antenna adapters in videos come out. This wire goes directly into the back of the radio. Nothing powers on, so I am going to check the fuse here later on to make sure that it's not something stupidly simple that I've missed. After that, I'm not sure what it would be, or what the rectangular connector that's in the dash connects to. The other fits right into the back of the radio into the port on the bottom right (looking at the above picture) but the other isn't even close to fitting anything.

So what exactly are you trying to do? Was there no radio in it and you are trying to put a factory one back in? I have a 99 and there are some different options as far as the sound system. Does it have the factory subwoofer and cd changer? Pics of the vehicle harness would be helpful.

I can't tell from your post if the radio just isn't working or if you can't get it hooked up but if you have it hooked up and it still isn't powering on here is some advise.

Do you know how to check for power and ground? Do you have a test light or multimeter of some sort?

Make sure you have power to the white/purple all the time. Make sure you have power to the black/pink with the key on. And make sure the black/green is grounded.

1997 Ford Expedition Car Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: White/Purple

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Black/Pink

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Green

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Black

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Blue

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6″ x 8″ Speakers

Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Red

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): White/Orange

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 8″ Speakers

Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Doors

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Blue/Black

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Purple/White

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Yep, it's the original radio. The radio does nothing, even when the key is on., no flashing or fading or anything. I am working on taking a picture of it. Wanted to get it fixed for my wife, but she's the one that drives it mostly, and doing it as a surprise. All I can see when as far as wires go when I pull the radio out are the 2 connectors that are there. Once the colored wires leave the connector they join and are wrapped so you can't actually see the wires themselves. The connector is the 71-5600 with metra. I just wasn't sure where the other connector went since only 1 connects to the radio. The other is just hanging there basically.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.