$181,000 stereo system

Well it is McIntosh and I am sure that was full list on the prices. Still $181k is just silly, but if people will pay it (and they do), then more power to them.

Thankfully the world is full of stupid people with money.

whoa!!

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 16 (12 members and 4 guests)

PV Audio , Alpineinstaller , Big-Cat , Blunt , cole24 , da_tank , Hades2004 , jeeper07 , jujumantb , OneKrazyKeebler , Range Rover , thylantyr

HT forum usually isn't this popular...

Anything tube based will be very expensive. I love audiogon though; middle to late old-aged men arguing on whose $3000 power cable is the best.

I guess everyone missed the point of this thread... not to show off expensive

gear or to name expensive gear... rather what that guy is describing can be

had for a huge fraction of the cost ------------- if you DIY ---- evil ----

He makes it sound like you *need* to spend this cash to get ..*that* .. sound.... not

if you carry the dark lord's light saber in hand .... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I guess everyone missed the point of this thread... not to show off expensivegear or to name expensive gear... rather what that guy is describing can be

had for a huge fraction of the cost ------------- if you DIY ---- evil ----

He makes it sound like you *need* to spend this cash to get ..*that* .. sound.... not

if you carry the dark lord's light saber in hand .... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Now that I perfectly agree with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I hate the automatic assumption that all vacuum tube gear is overpriced - because of that very phenomenon you described. Sure, I could spend $3k on a pair of Welborne Labs monoblocks or some other "audiophile approved" brand name that advertises in Stereophool or TAS. But why, when I could buy a kit from Bottlehead or Decware and build it myself for a tiny fraction of that, or scratch-build something for even less? Doesn't make sense, unless he gets part of his e-penis from the name and/or is too lazy to DIY.

A single-ended 2A3 amp, if the same transformers and components are used, is going to sound just like any other 2A3 amp that uses those same parts; I'd rather not have the name and have the cash in my wallet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

*Looks at Tulip's avatar*

Yep, no audiophile stuff for you!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.