1500w or 1800w Amp to power dual 700w subs?

planet audio
10+ year member

I have 2 Rockford Fosgate Power T0D412 subs at 700 watts RMS.

I can get a JL RD1500/1 amp 1500w @ 1 ohm for $599.

Or

I can get a Kicker CX1800.1 amp 1800w @ 1 ohm for $399.

Which amp should I get? The kicker is $200 cheaper, but will the 400w over power ruin those subs?

The kicker is the 2019 model 46CXA18001 so it's 1 ohm stable.

MODEL
CXA1800.1
Power (watts/ch) 4 Ohm
900x1
Power (watts/ch) 2 Ohm
1800x1
Power (watts/ch) 1 Ohm
1800x1 +/-10%

I'm only looking at the JL and Kicker amp. So you would get the kicker over the JL, and it wouldn't hurt the subs? I assume gain control is the key here?

You won't see anywhere near 1800 watts. Probably half that. Subwoofers will be completely fine as long as you set your gain correctly to not clip them to death.

The kicker is the 2019 model 46CXA18001 so it's 1 ohm stable.

MODEL
CXA1800.1
Power (watts/ch) 4 Ohm
900x1
Power (watts/ch) 2 Ohm
1800x1
Power (watts/ch) 1 Ohm
1800x1 +/-10%

I'm only looking at the JL and Kicker amp. So you would get the kicker over the JL, and it wouldn't hurt the subs? I assume gain control is the key here?
you might want to expand your horizons and knowledge before making statements on why you thnk kicker is better because its 1 ohm stable lmao. Taramps is half ohm stable and does 3000 watts from half ohm to 1 ohm to 2 ohms at 12.6 volts. But in the end its your money to burn.

you might want to expand your horizons and knowledge before making statements on why you thnk kicker is better because its 1 ohm stable lmao. Taramps is half ohm stable and does 3000 watts from half ohm to 1 ohm to 2 ohms at 12.6 volts. But in the end its your money to burn.

Umm I never said kicker was better. I was just stating what the kicker website said. My main concern was if running 1800w to the 1400w subs would damage them?

I already bought the JL 1500/1 but I can take it back. What about the Taramp DSP 1600 1 OHM? That's only 200w above the subs rated power.

After box rise you won’t be seeing 1800. Step it up on power. Smart 3s are very hard to beat on power, size, and function. From
Experience, I absolutely love em

So from doing some quick research, you guys would recommend the Taramp Smart 3 and run it with gain all the way down for 100% clean power? I currently have a 4 gauge OFC amp kit, will that be good for the taramps or should I go 0/1 gauge?

So this is how I tuned my smart 3 and md5000 to my dc level 4. Gain at zero. Volume at 30 (3/4 for my ram). I believe it was a -10db tone @40hz? Smart 3 comes with a clip meter. Slowly turn the gain up, until it goes flashing yellow. Red light is a hard clip, you don’t want that. Then turn down just a scoshe, and you’re tuned. If anyone wants to add any steps I missed, please do

The big 3 under the hood and 1/0 OFC no doubt. Keep that smart 3 at 1ohm minimum, I can’t say what it’ll do for heat and longevity at .5.
So from doing some quick research, you guys would recommend the Taramp Smart 3 and run it with gain all the way down for 100% clean power? I currently have a 4 gauge OFC amp kit, will that be good for the taramps or should I go 0/1 gauge?

My system is no where near pro, but I also monitor voltage at my amp inputs as well. The smart 3 is nice, as when you fire it up and start the vehicle, it’s not 100%. After a few minutes it comes up to 100%. Let’s things warm up and get going, I’d assume. That’s explained in the manual or some video I watched.

Being that the smart 3 does over 3000 on a dyno? Yes. The JL is probably a nice piece and I’m about to look it up but I’d bet to say it’s larger. And even fan cooled? Looked it up- nice piece. But $650 for 1500w..... no sir.

So if someone handed you both the JL RD1500/1 and the Taramps Smart 3 amps for free, would you still use the Taramps over the JL for my subs?
no i would take the JL however you need to return the JL, buy a alternator and a spool of 1/0, smart 3, agm battery, do the big 3 and put the smack down on those Ts. they will take over 700 and you are way too focused on that number. a smart 3k is not .5 stable, i would love to see the wave on the voltage rails at .5 on a smart 3k. not that it will see .5 but still. Minimum 1/0 into a smart 3 or RD or any 1k+.

i would wire the subs to a 4ohm load and run the smart 3, then you have room for growth. personally i would run 2 1/0 runs as well but at 4ohm load no need at all.

Being that the smart 3 does over 3000 on a dyno? Yes. The JL is probably a nice piece and I’m about to look it up but I’d bet to say it’s larger. And even fan cooled? Looked it up- nice piece. But $650 for 1500w..... no sir.
It will do over 1500 and it will do it with extreme efficency to boot. There is absolutely a reason for the price tag. JLs are beautiful amps but none the less there is a time and place for such, this is not it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.