15" SA v3's Noise...

Participant count
  • Participant list
IF sub was blown though coils wouldn't be reading perfect, all of them on both subs read exactly 2.2ohm. No scratch or rub on the subs, nothing they basically look brand new. The amplifier is supposidly a month old but the old owner was running it at .5 ohm and i dont think it even supports .5 ohm it's a Alphard Machete 2000.1... funny enough i been running my 18 on it and its been making weird noises too but I just reconed the 18 so I figured it was a **** recone job since it was my first recone job, maybe the amp is screwed. How can I tell if the amplifiers bad? I have a Wolfram 4500.1 I guess I could test the subs on but I don't have my electrical and **** hooked up for that.
That amp IS NOT .5 stable. Its the Chinese boards that everyone is going to now. I know its more budget friendly for people wanting high power but i dont trust them. Great for running 1ohm but they are not like a Korean board which 9/10 times will take .5 daily no problem

That amp IS NOT .5 stable. Its the Chinese boards that everyone is going to now. I know its more budget friendly for people wanting high power but i dont trust them. Great for running 1ohm but they are not like a Korean board which 9/10 times will take .5 daily no problem
Yeah I'm aware it's not meant for .5 ohm. Guy had the amp for a month so im assuming he didnt play it at .5 ohm long but the damage might have already been done. The thing is I don't see how the subs are blown if they both do it and they both meter perfectly fine with no rub. and i dont see how i can diagnose the amp being the culprit because it seems to be working properly.

If the SSF being raised don't cure it (I'd set it for around 30-32hz with that high of a tune BTW in a ported box, maybe higher) I'd be surprised... the SSF setting difference for a set of 18" at 35hz tuned and the SA-15's with a 42hz tune should be very different... quite a bit higher for the 15's at that tune.
"Buddy's wall tuned to 48hz"... sounds like a 4th unless I'm way off and that's a whole different animal than a ported box.
Love quoting myself...

Honestly don't think it's SSF related. I'll give it a go but my settings are about what I'd normally run on any setup and its never made this noise before.,

42hz tuned box and a 35hz tuned box are far apart in tuning... I'd try a 30hz-32hz ssf setting and raise it if it bottoms still... probably end up needing a 34hz-35hz setting when it's finally stopped (whatever you're hearing)... know your equipment and the limits... playing the 20's into the low 30's (especially loud) are not something a 42hz ported box tune is for.

42hz tuned box and a 35hz tuned box are far apart in tuning... I'd try a 30hz-32hz ssf setting and raise it if it bottoms still... probably end up needing a 34hz-35hz setting when it's finally stopped (whatever you're hearing)... know your equipment and the limits... playing the 20's into the low 30's (especially loud) are not something a 42hz ported box tune is for.
The thing is the subs made the noise on 38hz songs that are not being played low... SSF wouldn't effect a song thats playing nearly in the 40's. I'm starting to think Buck is right and the amplifier is fucked from running .5. I'll try adjusting the settings and see what it does but I'm having my doubts. I've heard your input, I'll give it a try but I'm not an audio noob and I know how to adjust my amplifier. I'd like some more ideas or input because I highly doubt that adjusting SSF/HPF is going to fix it.

The thing is the subs made the noise on 38hz songs that are not being played low... SSF wouldn't effect a song thats playing nearly in the 40's. I'm starting to think Buck is right and the amplifier is fucked from running .5. I'll try adjusting the settings and see what it does but I'm having my doubts. I've heard your input, I'll give it a try but I'm not an audio noob and I know how to adjust my amplifier. I'd like some more ideas or input because I highly doubt that adjusting SSF/HPF is going to fix it.
Good luck... lotsa port coupled with a higher tune can cause similar sounds (can't hear it from Az)... just something to try since the amp did ok on your Btl... 1/2 ohm usually sends the amp into protection or worse... just cooks it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.