15'' GCON or ICON?

E-Rock
10+ year member

Bass of All Basses
Boise, ID
I have been wanting to upgrade from a sealed 10'' sub to something like a SSA Icon. I just want 1 15''. I am wanting more SQ over SPL maybe like 70/30 or 60/40.

The amp I have is a Cadence ZRS C65 600rms @ 4ohm, 1200rms @ 2 ohm. The car is a 2006 Malibu, I haven't taken any measurements but I think I have plenty of room for 1 15''.

So will the GCON handle 1200rms? Or should I step up to an ICON? I doubt the sub will constantly see 1200, since I don't blast my music all the time or do burps.

Not for a GCON dude..they're only rated at 750w ~3 cubes. If you're giving them 500w over their rating you can't drop 'em in a box that big.
itll handle it fine givin the power is clean. he can set the amp for 750 rms if he wanted as well.

just thing the dd2510 is rated for 750 rms but i can run one at 1500rms in a 1.5 cube enclosure no prob even though dd recommends 1.25cubes and it only has a 2.5 inch voice coil. this is a bigger coil and the sub is designed for a range of enclosures 4 cubes is actually a good starting size.

itll handle it fine givin the power is clean. he can set the amp for 750 rms if he wanted as well.
just thing the dd2510 is rated for 750 rms but i can run one at 1500rms in a 1.5 cube enclosure no prob even though dd recommends 1.25cubes and it only has a 2.5 inch voice coil. this is a bigger coil and the sub is designed for a range of enclosures 4 cubes is actually a good starting size.
I think you misunderstood what I meant to say. I'm not concerned about the wattage of the amplifier burning up the sub, but if you're going to overpower your subwoofers, you usually want to put them in a smaller enclosure if you don't want them to start bottoming out, which is hard on your subs..

I think you misunderstood what I meant to say. I'm not concerned about the wattage of the amplifier burning up the sub, but if you're going to overpower your subwoofers, you usually want to put them in a smaller enclosure if you don't want them to start bottoming out, which is hard on your subs..
i completely understand what you said u fail to realize that sub will work in a wide range of enclosures 5 cubes wouldve been to big right off no questions asked but with 4 cubes you can design the port to counter act what you are thinking.

this isnt a comp box tuned stupid high were the sub will be at full excursion at 40hz.

people who say small box for more power also tell you to tune high because the sub has to use all of that power to reach xmax

giving the box is tune mildly low like 34 hz the sub will not reach full excursion to well below 30hz do to the box being designed to play the range of 30-80hz

take my comps for example. 10inch subs in 1.13cubes per on 450w rms a piece in your term my subs will be gone in a week yet i can play 28hz full tilt for 30min with ease. and trust me the coil is still shiny and the spiders are still good, broken in yes but still in full control of the subs cone

Well I am a little confused now. So if I were to get a Gcon and give it ~1200rms I should go for a slightly smaller box? I have no problem with going smaller since I like to use my trunk to keep things in sometimes.

I was planning on building (or having one built) a longer, shallower box. Something that will be about the width of my trunk but not a lot of depth. In this scenario I should do 3 or 3.5ft^3 @ 31hz for the Gcon?

I'm starting to think I should just get an Icon. The copper coils are appealing to me.

What other subs do well in smaller enclosures? I have heard DC does but how are they SQ wise compared to the SSA?

If you are going ported, the Icon is a little more ported leaning as the specs will show. Both are flexible sub woofers and both do very well in their respective sealed and ported enclosures, but the Icon has a longer coil, more cooling capacity, etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.