13W7 Review

BumpinDoug
10+ year member

15A's B!TCH
Atlanta
I just got my brand new 13W7 and I thought I'd throw out a review for people who are interested. First, I'll give you the specs. Its in a 3.5 cubic feet PORTED box (with displacment) and is tuned to 35hz, with a JL 1000/1 amp running to it. I drive an audi A4 and the sub is back firing towards the trunk. First, let me tell you, I had never heard a 13W7 before. The closest I have heard was a 12W7 with a 1000/1 amp to it in a sealed box, and it pounded. But I dont think I was ready for what I got when I heard it. Me and my friend, who has a kicker 15" L7 in a 6 cubic feet sealed box, were rolling up to the car garage where my car was being worked on to go pick it up. And no joke, with in about 20 yards of the car garage you COULD NOT HEAR my friends kicker anymore. Keeping in mind we did have all the windows rolled down, but the deepness of the 13W7 was insane. Then we stepped into the garage, and maybe it was the auscoustics in there but OH MY ****. This thing hammered harder than my other friends friends 15XXX with a jb 1200.1. And the initial sound quality of the sub was amazing. From before we even got in the garage I could tell the exact Linkin Park song that the guy was testing just from the bass notes, it was THAT clean. Then I put my head inside the car.....BOOM. Loud as he11, it met all of my expectations that I had for the SPL of the sub, and I expected it to be fairly loud because of the small car and the ported box. After leaving the shop and driving it around for a while the first day I could not have been happier. When I stop behind a car at a traffic light I can see THEIR mirrors shaking from my car (and no, I am not someone who jsut goes around balsting everywhere for the world to hear, I was just doin it my frist day, afterall, if you got this sub...wouldnt you?!? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) So in conclusion about the SPL of this bad boy, it is loud, very very loud, and I highly recomend porting this sub so that it can be used to its full potential.

Now to pick apart the sound quality of this sub. First off, the Sound Quality is very good, the best I have ever heard, so anything I am about to say is minimal and does not have a huge impact on the overall sound of the sub. Oh, and I have an alpine 9815 head unit...so that helps with the sound quality I highly recomend this head unit. Anyway, the only real complaint I have (and this will be taken care of next week) is that the sub causes major rattling, and I mean major. Esp. witht he sub puching out all of the extra air in the ported box. Inside of the car it does nto sound too terribly bad because of the loudness of the bass, but outside of the car its a different story, the rattling is almsot as loud as the bass the sub is producing. So if you invest in the sub, you will have to invest in a lot of dynamat as well. On certain notes inside of the car the rattling is bad too, but this has nothing to do with the sound of the actual sub. This sub sounds very very sharp, even in a big ported box. It does not hit the highs or mid-bass notes very well (Ex: In the song by the big tymers "still fly" the sub does not hit the first round of high bass notes in the repeating sequence hardly at all). Also, the notes that the sub are hitting can be hard to distinguish between in songs with strong reverberating bass notes like Three 6 Mafia songs. However, it hits all of the low notes very hard very clean and very loud. And thats what a sub is supposed to do, am I right? My friends 12W7 did not quite hit the low notes as hard as this thing, so I recomend coughing over the extra $100 and bumping it up to the 13W7 (which is actual 14.25 inches wide).

In conlusion, this sub sounds great and is loud ad hell. I spent a lot for it, I know. But IMO it does not get better than this sub in sound quality, and in SPL I cannot see why the daily driver who just wants good bass in their car would want any louder than this, because it POUNDS! I could not be any happier with the sub and I highly recomend it for anyone who has the money, because price aside, I dont think their are too many people who can deny that this sub is up their for the best sub ever made. So that is my lengthy reivew of this sub in a ported box, sorry it was long but let me know your thoughts on this! (Hopefully I will pics and video soon...)

sounds good man...sounds like you got what you paid for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

and about the rattling thing, its not only the W7 that causes major rattling //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

get those pics and videos up asap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

-nate

Nice review- IMO, you should try it in a box tuned lower, like 25-28 hz, and see why they call it one of the best low end woofers out there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But nice job nonetheless...

Ill take your advice on that down the road, but this thing already gets reaalllllllll low as it is. I havent gotten it metered yet, but Im expecting at least 146 from this thing in such a small car, you think thats about right?

Originally posted by BumpinDoug Ill take your advice on that down the road, but this thing already gets reaalllllllll low as it is. I havent gotten it metered yet, but Im expecting at least 146 from this thing in such a small car, you think thats about right?
146 is definitely possible...

Get it metered, and let us know what you do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Get some pics too!!!

you guys need to be more clear by what you mean when you say 'beat' this sub or that sub.

the W7 will own most any high excursion sub in SQ. period. you don't beat a W7 in SQ with something like a XXX or brahma.

on the other hand, you can beat the W7 in the SPL category with both of those drivers listed above. but remember, all of this depends on the install.

-nate

I'm still stupified as to why his friend has a Kicker 15 in such a large SEALED box? It's a Kicker in a huge box, and...its...not...ported...because...??????//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif Tell him to port that sucker and see what a Kicker is all about. An 8" Kicker L7 hit over 150 dB!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

An eDA12 put down a XXX12 as well, so maybe people just don't know how to use them to their full potential, or maybe the SPL capabilities of the XXX have been overblown slightly. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Yeah actually I couldnt tell you why my friend has such a big SEALED box for his kicker. He doesnt like the sound of the ported boxes too much (you know that unmistakeable sound of the air being pushed through the slot, happens in every ported box, no escaping it), but I still dont understand why his sealed box is so big. I can tell you this it gets crazy low, i mean dirty low. It hits hard...mine hits harder though.

And yeah maybe my friend doesnt have his 15xxx wired right with the jbl 1200.1, but tonight we met up and there is no denying that mine out pounded that thing. Im not sure the dimensions of his box but its fairly big and sealed, and mine is ported so maybe that makes the difference. Plus he has a JBL 1200.1 which probably puts out right above 1050 watts at the 1.167 ohms xxx's are wired to, and I have a JL 1000/1, which is most definately underrated like most all os their products (plus its at 1.5 ohms wired to the 13W7 so i think it has 5% more output at lower resistance), so I am probably pumping out more watts and more quality watts than he is. I mean JBL's are good products...but they dont compare with the JL 1000/1. So I know first hand, a 13W7 in a ported box will most definatly outpound a 15 XXX in a sealed box (and it might even beat it in a ported box, it was a fairly large margin of difference). So if you have a 13W7 and a 15XXX in similar nbox conditions being powered the same, I would have to say the 13W7 takes the prize here in both SQ and SPL. Keep in mind the 13W7 is not a 13 inch sub, it is actually about 14.25 inches, I can post a pic of that soon if you want. I mean its great that he saved about 500 more than me on the sub and amp, but mines louder and sounds better, and thats what it really all comes down to in the end, am I right?

Originally posted by BumpinDoug Yeah actually I couldnt tell you why my friend has such a big SEALED box for his kicker. He doesnt like the sound of the ported boxes too much (you know that unmistakeable sound of the air being pushed through the slot, happens in every ported box, no escaping it), but I still dont understand why his sealed box is so big. I can tell you this it gets crazy low, i mean dirty low. It hits hard...mine hits harder though.

And yeah maybe my friend doesnt have his 15xxx wired right with the jbl 1200.1, but tonight we met up and there is no denying that mine out pounded that thing. Im not sure the dimensions of his box but its fairly big and sealed, and mine is ported so maybe that makes the difference. Plus he has a JBL 1200.1 which probably puts out right above 1050 watts at the 1.167 ohms xxx's are wired to, and I have a JL 1000/1, which is most definately underrated like most all os their products (plus its at 1.5 ohms wired to the 13W7 so i think it has 5% more output at lower resistance), so I am probably pumping out more watts and more quality watts than he is. I mean JBL's are good products...but they dont compare with the JL 1000/1. So I know first hand, a 13W7 in a ported box will most definatly outpound a 15 XXX in a sealed box (and it might even beat it in a ported box, it was a fairly large margin of difference). So if you have a 13W7 and a 15XXX in similar nbox conditions being powered the same, I would have to say the 13W7 takes the prize here in both SQ and SPL. Keep in mind the 13W7 is not a 13 inch sub, it is actually about 14.25 inches, I can post a pic of that soon if you want. I mean its great that he saved about 500 more than me on the sub and amp, but mines louder and sounds better, and thats what it really all comes down to in the end, am I right?

no way around port turbulance huh...... and yes if you had a properly built box there would be no audible port noise

Originally posted by BumpinDoug It does not hit the highs or mid-bass notes very well (Ex: In the song by the big tymers "still fly" the sub does not hit the first round of high bass notes in the repeating sequence hardly at all). Also, the notes that the sub are hitting can be hard to distinguish between in songs with strong reverberating bass notes like Three 6 Mafia songs. However, it hits all of the low notes very hard very clean and very loud. And thats what a sub is supposed to do, am I right?

great review........im glad your happy w/ it.....and its been my experience w/ the w7's that ive heard that it does have problems reproducing the upper bass freq's.......from a few others that ive talked to about this....it appears to be a design flaw.....but it is still an amazing sub for the lower freq's....i guess u could always get a dedicated mid/upper bass driver.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.