12w7 ported box help

Participant count
  • Participant list

puckyou
10+ year member

I have a 12w7 that I am thinking of doing a ported enclosure for but need help.

Truck is a 2007 Trailblazer SS.

12w7 powered by a JL 1000/1

I would like to have a wedge box so not to lose space behind the rear seat. Dimensions are:

Max Width - 40 inches

Max Depth Top - 10 inches

Max Depth Bottom - 14 inches

Max Height - 16 inches

I am all about equal and evenness visually so no ports to one side.

Any help or ideas.

aw heck I was bored here you go pm me if you want to build it I'll give you all the technical data plus I got some finished projects for trlblzrs tahoe's etc..

12w7.jpg
I made it see through so you could see all the internals we can discuss what you want from it tuning/placement etc...

yeah, cool!

I have since parted that car out and sold it. Moved up to a SS trailblazer as I needed more hp.....but 395hp wasn't enough so having long tube headers and a maggie 112 installed this weekend.

Sold off one of my 12w7's and 1000/1's and picked up some Focal 165 k2p's and going to install the 450/4 along with the 1000/1 and 12w7 in the TB.

Just working some ported box designs now as the TBSS has more room than the GT ever did!

I have a 12w7 that I am thinking of doing a ported enclosure for but need help.
Truck is a 2007 Trailblazer SS.

12w7 powered by a JL 1000/1

I would like to have a wedge box so not to lose space behind the rear seat. Dimensions are:

Max Width - 40 inches

Max Depth Top - 10 inches

Max Depth Bottom - 14 inches

Max Height - 16 inches

I am all about equal and evenness visually so no ports to one side.

Any help or ideas.
Having a wedge box with dual ports on either side would be a ***** to build because the when the port takes a corner towards the back of the box, it would have to be sloped as well. Only other option would be to have a port exiting on the bottom of the box, but with a single 12" and how wide that box would be, the port would be way to wide and not tall enough and you'd get some dimensional issues. Only option would be to have a more square port along the bottom of the box with the sub sitting on top of the box. That is for optimal setup atleast (sub up port back)

Having a wedge box with dual ports on either side would be a ***** to build because the when the port takes a corner towards the back of the box, it would have to be sloped as well. Only other option would be to have a port exiting on the bottom of the box, but with a single 12" and how wide that box would be, the port would be way to wide and not tall enough and you'd get some dimensional issues. Only option would be to have a more square port along the bottom of the box with the sub sitting on top of the box. That is for optimal setup atleast (sub up port back)
Agreed, to elaborate with more details.

Looking for 2.25 cubes and tuned to 28 hz.

I would like a wedge shape to utilize as much room in the truck as I can.....but understand if it is a design nightmare.....

I could get away with a square box, but it cannot be any deeper than 12 inches.

Keep in mind the JL 12" woofer is over 12" in outer diameter, and because it has such a large surround, the cutout hole is fairly large too in comparison to it's overall diameter. So... accounting for the 3/4" mdf on the front and back of the box, let's assume the cutout is like 11" (it's probably bigger), you'd want a box atleast 13.5" deep so that when you go to cutout the hole, the hole doesn't exceed the top baffle or the sub doesn't have overhang on the box. I'm tired as hell at the moment, but I'll mess with some 3-D sketches for you tomorrow and post em.

Keep in mind the JL 12" woofer is over 12" in outer diameter, and because it has such a large surround, the cutout hole is fairly large too in comparison to it's overall diameter. So... accounting for the 3/4" mdf on the front and back of the box, let's assume the cutout is like 11" (it's probably bigger), you'd want a box atleast 13.5" deep so that when you go to cutout the hole, the hole doesn't exceed the top baffle or the sub doesn't have overhang on the box. I'm tired as hell at the moment, but I'll mess with some 3-D sketches for you tomorrow and post em.
cool, thanks! anything you can do to help out!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.