12" sub suggestions. RF or ID or...????

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
I listen to mostly rock/alternative type music but also some top 40 and rap.
Was leaning towards a RF P3 12" sub but open to suggestions. I also ran across an IDQ12 for about the same price. I used RF back in the day but have only heard of ID subs.

Can anyone suggest one over the other or if you have another brand to throw in the mix?

BTW, this is for a jeep wrangler. Most likely down firing. Still don't know if I should go ported or sealed. And would be powered by the 5th channel of a pioneer amp 600 watts/2 ohms.

thanks for the replies.
Can you tell me roughly waht the ID will sound like compared to RF? Loud, deeper, boomier, punchier, etc???

Also how about the Sundown SA-12 D2 REV.3 ? I noticed it's also in the same price range.

Wen to some local shops today. Locally my choices are RF, Memphis (heard of them but no experience with them), and Sinful Sounds???? The sinful sounds looks kinda like a Skar knockoff or something. Anyone ever heard them??

There is a JL dealer but I really don't like that place.

Still looking for opinions.

Depends. What mounting depth do you have to work with since you will be down firing? How large of a box can you fit? That would determine ported or sealed especially since you want a 12".

Mounting depth shouldn't be too much of a concern. It seems about all these subs I have considered are ~6.5" - 7" required. If I add ~1.5" for the front and back (or top and bottom since I am thinking downfiring) of the box and then maybe 3" for clearance that is about 12" depth. Oh, and maybe another 1.5"/2" so the sub sits off the floor. So max I would think would be 14".
I can do that in the back of my jeep. Probably no more than 15" is what I would want.

Wen to some local shops today. Locally my choices are RF, Memphis (heard of them but no experience with them), and Sinful Sounds???? The sinful sounds looks kinda like a Skar knockoff or something. Anyone ever heard them??

There is a JL dealer but I really don't like that place.

Still looking for opinions.
Never heard of Sinful Sounds. Ill look those up, maybe play around with one. How did it perform??

Never heard of Sinful Sounds. Ill look those up, maybe play around with one. How did it perform??
No idea. They had them in the shop but none hooked up. But the pre fab box he recommended was tuned to 38-40Hz he said. I'm just not sure that would sound the best but I really don't know a ton about ports/tuning.

No idea. They had them in the shop but none hooked up. But the pre fab box he recommended was tuned to 38-40Hz he said. I'm just not sure that would sound the best but I really don't know a ton about ports/tuning.
Hmm sounds like your regular Flea Market Value Gender. Stay away from Prefabbed enclosures. You will get better performance out of a built and properly tuned enclosure.I like most my sub stage around 28-35Htz on the low sides Ill bet Buck could help or Shredder with a nice enclosure to meet your expectations. ill still look up those subs. I dont mind Playing around with stuff

Do those Daytons come in dual VC 4 ohm? Maybe they do but I couldn't find it. I think I did see a shallow mount but I don't want that.

What's the best mix of SQ and SQL out there in this price range? I am concerned if I just go for SQ, it won't hit as low. I don't really listen to alot of low deep notes but every now and then I do.

Do those Daytons come in dual VC 4 ohm? Maybe they do but I couldn't find it. I think I did see a shallow mount but I don't want that.

What's the best mix of SQ and SQL out there in this price range? I am concerned if I just go for SQ, it won't hit as low. I don't really listen to alot of low deep notes but every now and then I do.

How low a sub will hit is determined by the tuning of the box. Fs qts etc does play a part in how well it will hit specific frequencies, but I'm just getting into learning about that. I would talk to @Buck about it, that's his specialty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.