12" JL w7 vs RE XXX

The XXX is an amazing woofer, and it will get loud. And it does sound good, it's a very deep sounding woofer, if that makes any sense. I like the sound much better then that of the W6 and W7. But the XXX also takes twice the power the W7 does

my 3 13.5 W6 are amazing im hitting 154 dB with em if thats not loud enough idk what isim running 3 othose with JL audio amps

(3) A1800
154 db in the port? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Although I do run a solo 12W7 sealed....if your getting a deal a W7 is a good sub for obvious reasons....but its the little things that JL did in the design that bother me one being for the 10/12" is the single 3ohm coil....? Good way to sell more JL amps....I run a Fusion NV2500 to it and hoped it would see 1200rms but its lacking power....now I need to invest in a 1000/1 or something like it....gonna cost me more $$.....my friend runs the RE XXX and sounds real good but cost enough as well.... next time around I would choose the XXX because of all the hype of the W7....even though its not being put to its potential isnt all that impressive for my circumstances....

I'd like to see your friend try to even install this sub he thinks is oh so mighty.

Also ask your friend to find people that use the W7 in SPL comps. if he thinks they SPL beasts, because he won't find anyone. That alone should end the argument for ya.

I'd like to see your friend try to even install this sub he thinks is oh so mighty.
Also ask your friend to find people that use the W7 in SPL comps. if he thinks they SPL beasts, because he won't find anyone. That alone should end the argument for ya.

You are exactly right, I made the same argument but his response was..."All I see guys running at car shows is JL gear." I told him there is a difference between actual competitors and dudes trying to see how hard they're system bumps at a car show. I told him that you never see Jl in an SPL comp. I am not saying that JL *****, I do thinks its stupid when you have an ******* like my buddy claiming that JL is best on the market. Its like a die hard Ford fan, you will not get them to like Chevy.

And just how many people are running the XXX in dedicated SPL setups?

Probably about as many as are running a W7.

So I fail to see how this supports the argument.

those who say that the XXX blows away the w7..
would the sx be more comparable to the w7?

or what else would be a better comparison?
Anyone who says that (old or new XXX) is a tad misinformed.

The SX is not even close to the W7.

The W7 is still leaps and bounds better than the best products from many other companies....especially in the mainstream market. There are a handful of drivers from small companies that approach the W7 or exceed it with respect to measured distortion....but the entire W7 package was ahead of its time 6-7 years ago....and still is in many respects.

And just how many people are running the XXX in dedicated SPL setups?
Probably about as many as are running a W7.

So I fail to see how this supports the argument.
I may be wrong...isnt matrixxdude runing 2 xxx's, or use to?

and he seems/ed to put up #s in the 150s

my 3 13.5 W6 are amazing im hitting 154 dB with em if thats not loud enough idk what isim running 3 othose with JL audio amps

(3) A1800
hahaha:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:

hahaha:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh:
wowhow did I read over that post?

i think we would need high voltage non-linear testing to really tell, but from a small signal standpoint, the 12" W7 holds close to a 4-5dB sensitivty advantage over the 12" RE which is significant! it would take the RE about 3 to 4 times the power to reach the same spl above BL compression limits and the W7 has a very long throw too. the RE may perhaps have more linear throw, i think thats the point of the split coil and high xmax design. But considering power compression, the W7 looks to be the SPL winner. BTW, I have personally tested the 12" RE XXX and the 12" W7 and i have done klippel testing on the W7 and small signal measurements on the RE.

I think its unfair to pair up drivers when there really are so many differences, you can't just define a winner, and in fact, there are major misconceptions about what makes something better/worse. buy what you like.. end of story. My idea of what makes something better is probably different than the next persons.

but if you're friends want to know any woofer better than a W7... as an acoustic engineer, I would tell him the W7 only comes in 13" or smaller. Many 18's can provide more SPL at lower distortion levels... its a pretty ease case to make.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

8thGenSI

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
8thGenSI
hollister,CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date