12" JL w7 vs RE XXX

8thGenSI
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
LOL ok guys, I have a friend sitting here with me and no matter what specs I show him, no matter how many youtube videos I show him of a xxx in action he just doesn't want to buy into the fact that there is a better sub then the w7! I can think of a few that I would go with over the W7 but the RE is the first that came to mind.

Now I know someone will ask for further clarification, He thinks the JL is both louder and better SQ. Lets say both subs are set up in they're IDEAL situations.

Thanks for the help.

so you show him vids, specs, and he doesnt believe you.
so asking us will make him believe?
Well... I have been messing around with car audio for years, him... not so long. For some reason he decided to jump on the JL band wagon because of the couple of JL dealers told him it is top of the line.

He told me "ask anyone, they will tell you that JL is the best money can buy." So I figured I would ask around a little, and show him a response or two from some people who know what they are talking about.

the w7 is not all that amazing. w6 has better clarity and sq. the new xxx will be far louder though.
I have never been all that impressed with the w7, I never thought the SQ is everything that everyone makes them out to be. I think they are over hyped.

I have never been all that impressed with the w7, I never thought the SQ is everything that everyone makes them out to be. I think they are over hyped.
absolutely. my friend has one in his jeep. ive heard better for a fraction of that insane price tag

Of course the new XXX is MORE EXPENSIVE than the W7...since price is usually the biggest problem people have with the W7s, where does that leave the XXX? If you're looking for potential output, the XXX is the clear winner. Properly enclosed, SQ is going to be a toss up with the W7 probably having a very slight edge (talking measured distortion, or lack thereof).

If you factor out price, there are very few subs that I would rather have than a W7 but I don't give a crap about getting loud. The subs I would pick over the W7 also cost more, with the end result being that subs that actually can give you the quality low distortion output in the class of the W7 are just as expensive, if not more so, than the W7.

Of course the new XXX is MORE EXPENSIVE than the W7...since price is usually the biggest problem people have with the W7s, where does that leave the XXX? If you're looking for potential output, the XXX is the clear winner. Properly enclosed, SQ is going to be a toss up with the W7 probably having a very slight edge (talking measured distortion, or lack thereof).
If you factor out price, there are very few subs that I would rather have than a W7 but I don't give a crap about getting loud. The subs I would pick over the W7 also cost more, with the end result being that subs that actually can give you the quality low distortion output in the class of the W7 are just as expensive, if not more so, than the W7.
You have a good point, obviously the w7 is a much more popular sub because it is with in much more people's grasp when it comes to price. It also depends on where you are buying one, and if you are paying retail price. Retail on the 12 w7 is like 800, I could score an XXX on ebay for same amount or maybe less. It is a shame though that if you ask the average guy they have no clue what an RE XXX is.

How old is the W7 design anyways,that thing has been out for what? 5-7 years ???
and the fact that it is still regarded as the sub all others are measured by is a true testament to the design. like the woofer or not.. it uses no fancy topologies, no hidden voodoo per se and still it remains on top. amazing really.

While I agree the W7 is an outstanding driver, imo there are and have been several drivers that offer similar performance, for less money. The Brahma/old XXX come to mind, the CSS SDX, GTi's, etc. Basically we are looking at a BL optimized driver with very good displacement potential. Not exclusive traits to W7, nor to the $800+ club.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

8thGenSI

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
8thGenSI
hollister,CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date