12" aq hdc3 on aq 2200 giving a slight smell

I just upgraded my amp today to an aq 2200 wired at .5 ohms. The hdc3 sub is in a 2.75 cu ft box and I believe it's tuned to 40 hz. It's in a solobaric super bass pro box. Well anyways, now the sub is giving off a slight smell. Is this normal or am I clipping it? My electrical is a 90 amp alt with the big 3 done and 3 stinger batteries. Don't really know the sizes on them. Thanks

pro box

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's pretty normal running 2200W into a coil with a thermal limit of 1200W.

Protip: Turn your isht down when you smell the majic smoke coming out of your coils.

That coil will handle 2k continuous for an hour..

Chances are your under voltage and clipping the he'll out of it..

Once you smell it the glue has began to break down..

Unless u want to recone it set your gain lower..

I just upgraded my amp today to an aq 2200 wired at .5 ohms. The hdc3 sub is in a 2.75 cu ft box and I believe it's tuned to 40 hz. It's in a solobaric super bass pro box. Well anyways, now the sub is giving off a slight smell. Is this normal or am I clipping it? My electrical is a 90 amp alt with the big 3 done and 3 stinger batteries. Don't really know the sizes on them. Thanks
pro box
Is the clip light lighting up? Imo, I wouldn't use that box.....And with that kind of power, I wouldn't put it in anything bigger than 2.5. Probably safer around 2-2.25. Mine is wired to 1 ohms not .5 but i've been pounding on it for over 2 years without an issue....

How long have you had the sub?

Is the clip light lighting up? Imo, I wouldn't use that box.....And with that kind of power, I wouldn't put it in anything bigger than 2.5. Probably safer around 2-2.25. Mine is wired to 1 ohms not .5 but i've been pounding on it for over 2 years without an issue....
How long have you had the sub?
Ive had the sub for about two weeks now on my old mb quart 1200.1 amp. Ive played it for about 4-6 hours. Yesterday, I took out my old amp and put in that aq 2200 and hits a little harder. Though, at times when i turn it up. Lets say for about 20 seconds, it gives off a slight smell. Ive only smelled it twice. Its not strong of a smell at all. I also dont have the bass knob, im ordering one though.

Ive had the sub for about two weeks now on my old mb quart 1200.1 amp. Ive played it for about 4-6 hours. Yesterday, I took out my old amp and put in that aq 2200 and hits a little harder. Though, at times when i turn it up. Lets say for about 20 seconds, it gives off a slight smell. Ive only smelled it twice. Its not strong of a smell at all. I also dont have the bass knob, im ordering one though.
Is there any distortion when you turn it up from the sub? It does sound like you might be clipping it....

The box is tuned way too high imo. The box is too big (mechanically). I'd do 2.25-2.5.
I had my 15 in a box tuned to 40 for a good while, it was ok but was kinda peaky. My new box is tuned around 37~38. It's a lot smoother sounding.

Is there any distortion when you turn it up from the sub? It does sound like you might be clipping it....

I had my 15 in a box tuned to 40 for a good while, it was ok but was kinda peaky. My new box is tuned around 37~38. It's a lot smoother sounding.
Honestly, I dont hear any distortion. I pretty much have to turn up the radio almost all the way for it to get really loud. So im not really turning it up to the point where it doesnt get any louder. Oh and the aq amp that i have is the older one, so it doesnt have the bass boost control.

Which version of the HDC3 do you have?

I would think your clipping the amp in this case.

As for the enclosure, which one do you actually have? The link shows a square sub enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

myjaja

10+ year member
Audioque
myjaja
San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*&l
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date