10W7 or Mag 12

surface area alone should tell you that answer... mags, hands down.

let alone the fact that that the mags are louder than the dubs.

soooo, easy question to answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . mags will be louder

Hmm...thats an extremely general question of which you probably wont come to any conclusions.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif Whats your personal definition of *hard hitting*?

386cm^2 w/ 23mm of xmax translates to about 887cm^3 of displacement

480cm^2 w/ 26mm of xmax translates to 1248cm^3 of displacement

The Mag will have a 41% displacement advantage over the W7, which (since non-linear distortion is pretty linear with excursion) should give the Mag the non-linear distortion advantage. The Mag will also have to move less for the same amount of displacement leading to less IM (intermodulation) distortion. You can expect about 3dB of more SPL from the mag assuming all other variables are controlled.

Without cabin gain (this is critical and is different for every car) the Mag will be able to achieve 112dB @50hz and 100dB @ 25hz, likewise the W7 will be able to achieve 109dB at 50hz and 97dB at 25hz. This is maximum displacement limited and is only intended for direct comparison purposes.

Assuming you install both in their complimentary enclosures, the Mag will hands down have the advantage in non-linear distortion, intermodulation distortion, and capable of roughly 3dB more output at a given frequency.

FYI you will also achieve a similar 3dB gain by doubling the power from your amplifier

Hmm...thats an extremely general question of which you probably wont come to any conclusions.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif Whats your personal definition of *hard hitting*?
386cm^2 w/ 23mm of xmax translates to about 887cm^3 of displacement

480cm^2 w/ 26mm of xmax translates to 1248cm^3 of displacement

The Mag will have a 41% displacement advantage over the W7, which (since non-linear distortion is pretty linear with excursion) should give the Mag the non-linear distortion advantage. The Mag will also have to move less for the same amount of displacement leading to less IM (intermodulation) distortion. You can expect about 3dB of more SPL from the mag assuming all other variables are controlled.

Without cabin gain (this is critical and is different for every car) the Mag will be able to achieve 112dB @50hz and 100dB @ 25hz, likewise the W7 will be able to achieve 109dB at 50hz and 97dB at 25hz. This is maximum displacement limited and is only intended for direct comparison purposes.

Assuming you install both in their complimentary enclosures, the Mag will hands down have the advantage in non-linear distortion, intermodulation distortion, and capable of roughly 3dB more output at a given frequency.

FYI you will also achieve a similar 3dB gain by doubling the power from your amplifier
Well that was a very detailed answer and thank you. I have a W7's for 4 years and I love W7's they hit hard no matter what you listen to. I have a 2007 F-150 Harley on the way and with a seat lift I could do either pair as another member has but I know what W7's sound like. Since you seem so knowledgable what power? Again I love JL amps but there largets is 1000/1 which I think would be enough for the W7's, not sure about the Mag's.

Well that was a very detailed answer and thank you. I have a W7's for 4 years and I love W7's they hit hard no matter what you listen to. I have a 2007 F-150 Harley on the way and with a seat lift I could do either pair as another member has but I know what W7's sound like. Since you seem so knowledgable what power? Again I love JL amps but there largets is 1000/1 which I think would be enough for the W7's, not sure about the Mag's.
1000/1 would work for a mag as well.

Why even ask here, seriously? We all know the answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif You could've asked about a 20" w7 vs. a 6.5" BM and I could've told you the answer before I opened the thread.

Why even ask here, seriously? We all know the answer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif You could've asked about a 20" w7 vs. a 6.5" BM and I could've told you the answer before I opened the thread.
if you dont have any reasonable advice, why add a pointless posts? it would have been more of a competition if he was asking 12"s vs 12"s, but he isnt. and even in that case, i would take the mags over the dubs, because ive seen the mags beed dubs by alot...

the answer is obvious here, especially for those of us that have a clue, and have had experience with the woofers in question...

mag ftw. given proper enclosure volume and power.
The volume looks only to be about 1.1 per which another member here has it and says it hits. I am thinking atleast 1000/1 but maybe 2 of them just for the subs just not sure how much power to give the doors to sound really good.

JL amps are good but they are very expensive. These amps are a great deal for the money and will put out plenty of power @ 1 ohm.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2696

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.