10" Dayton subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

doox00
10+ year member

Michigan
I am thinking of purchasing a pair of 10" Dayton's from Parts Express. I have a 500 watt mono Alpine sub amp at 2 ohm to power them. I see they have the HO version but since I do not have 500 watts rms for each sub I was going to go with these Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm.

Is the amp I have enough to power 2 10"s? Which box type is recommended for these subs, ported or sealed? I Prefer a smaller box but want to have decent volume available when I want it. I used to run an IDQ 12" single sub with this amp and I first built a sealed box, it sounded good but was not nearly enough volume. I then built a nice ported box and was a big improvement, used it for a couple years that way.

Also what are the advantages of the HO ones verse the non HO besides able to handle more power.. they just get louder overall?

thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard ones would be better in your application. They take less power to get moving and would be more SQ oriented. 500W is fine for 2 SQ oriented 10 or 12's even.

Either a properly designed sealed or ported box would do nicely. A ported box would have slightly more output depending on where you tune it, sealed has a more smooth response curve on a graph.....especially if tuned low.

Download and use WinISD to model the sub in different types of boxes to see what I'm talking about.

I ended up ordering two of the HO models as I just purchased a 1000 watt alpine mono amp and will sell my alpine 500 watt mono.. I think I will build a sealed box for it to start and see how that sounds.

I ended up ordering two of the HO models as I just purchased a 1000 watt alpine mono amp and will sell my alpine 500 watt mono.. I think I will build a sealed box for it to start and see how that sounds.
They only need .7 ported so Id just go ported the first time...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.