1 or 2 subs?

bradl79
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NLR
I rarely ever see anyone with a single sub, even sq guys so even with not using heavy bass or going spl is it still better to go with 2 or more subs and what's the advantage for sq guys

I have two buddies with singles one runs a DC and one runs a Kicker. Depends what you want to be honest. One of them is super loud the DC at 1800 watts and one of them the kicker at 800 watts is nice SQ.

More cone area means less cone movement is required to get more output. Greater excursion means greater distortion. The best sounding subwoofers are designed for low distortion and to keep inductance rise in check at the limits, but it's better to design your system so the subs do not need to use much throw except on the deepest bass notes. That is assuming a sealed enclosure.

i run one 15 now as space limits me to that. i could do 2 12's but that's a squeeze. i like the sound of one good beefy sub versus two or more. in my explorer i had 4 oa 12's briefly as the wife deemed it ridiculous, and it was soon to be her ride as we were expecting at the time. anyone with kids knows a 4 door is a must. i would assume that sq guys use multiple subs because sq subs tend to lack heavy output and with multiply highpowered comp sets they would need more cone area to keep up.

Space would also be an issue. I use one 12 in my current car, my new 12 is coming soon and ill be using just one 12 then also. I would rather use one in the largest box I can fit instead of multiple subs in less than ideal enclosures.

Lol Barry u are to smart for me, some of the things u say go over my head. But thanks for all ur help

Lol Barry u are to smart for me, some of the things u say go over my head. But thanks for all ur help
Try 'The Loudspeaker Cookbook, Vol. 7' by Vance Dickason if you're ever feeling up to learning more about how speakers and enclosures work.

I'm afraid I've only owned single subs.... And all but 1 my current where 10's. If you feed the recommend rms in a regular sized car it will get down. My neighbors always complain. But I have the really bad itch for more and now I want 2-12's at 2500w a piece......there gonna really ***** this time....and they think 800ws is load

All of my favorite setups have been two sub setups. I generally don't play my music more than halfway up, and having the extra sub really seems to help the bass at lower volumes. I currently have a single SA-10 in my car, and I would love to change to a two sub setup using more efficient woofers.

I still have a lot to learn about car audio, but two subs seem to work best for me. At full volume, my old two sub setup and my current single sub setup are about the same. The difference is that the two sub setup seemed to get loud sooner (at lower volumes) than the single sub does.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.