1 amp or 2?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SteelKiller
10+ year member

Portland
So, in my 2017 Ram I have the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C 6x9 and 3.5" "component set up front. I have some older Alpine type S 6x9's in the rear doors for now. I want to add an amp for the front and run them active. I also want some bass!!! I am considering running a 5 channel with the A&B channels running the fronts and the sub channel running 2-10's or 12's under the rear seat. My dilemma is, after shopping for a decent 5 channel and not finding the power and price I want, I am looking at the Kicker Key smart amp. That leaves me needing another amp for subs! Not to worry, I have an early 2000's MTX 421D mono amp. I don't mind using the older amp but am wondering which direction to go here!! Help me figure out what is going to sound the best!!! Oh, for the sub enclosure I am doing a Fox Box but can't decide on sealed or ported!!

You aren't going to find a 5 channel that does alot of power. The sundown 1100.5 is probably going to be your best bet and it's a very large amp. I personally would run a Taramps MD800x4 and MD3000.

You aren't going to find a 5 channel that does alot of power. The sundown 1100.5 is probably going to be your best bet and it's a very large amp. I personally would run a Taramps MD800x4 and MD3000.

I beg to differ. This is a 5 ch amp and at 27" in length, it'll bust out over 200 watts into 2 ohms and about 1k for the sub ch @ 1 ohm. At the same time, these older ED amps, esp this one, isn't easy to find.

Attachments

• 20190905_153124.jpg
    20190905_153124.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 161
So, in my 2017 Ram I have the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XP6903C 6x9 and 3.5" "component set up front. I have some older Alpine type S 6x9's in the rear doors for now. I want to add an amp for the front and run them active. I also want some bass!!! I am considering running a 5 channel with the A&B channels running the fronts and the sub channel running 2-10's or 12's under the rear seat. My dilemma is, after shopping for a decent 5 channel and not finding the power and price I want, I am looking at the Kicker Key smart amp. That leaves me needing another amp for subs! Not to worry, I have an early 2000's MTX 421D mono amp. I don't mind using the older amp but am wondering which direction to go here!! Help me figure out what is going to sound the best!!! Oh, for the sub enclosure I am doing a Fox Box but can't decide on sealed or ported!!
I can help with the box, go the ported route and run 10s, not enough air space for 12s. I run the fix box with 10s made by Corey Dean and it slams.

So I was just pondering a 5 channel, no amps are set in stone right now. Preferably I would like a 4 channel for my active fronts, rears on deck power and a solid class D for subs. I am shying away from the key as I do not like the adjustments or the way the power/ground/inputs/outputs are configured. My fronts are rated 100rms as a set but since I am going to run them active I would think a 75ishx4 would be fine. I am finding that off deck power the 3.5's in my dash are slightly overpowering. That could be due to lack of sub and lack of dsp right now. I still am on the fence about the Fox Box as I see pre-fab boxes aren't appreciated here for SQ or Spl, I just don't have $800 right this second for a custom built job. I have never worked with fiberglass before so I am kinda leary to spend $100 on materials just to waste them!!! I listen to EVERYTHING so I want nice tight response and some impressive lows with volume. I know that's asking a ton but I think it can be done!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.