1/2 mdf vs 3/4

samger2
10+ year member

What are the negatives with using 1/2 inch vs 5/8? I'm limited on space and trying to maximize my volume plus all I can find at the local hardware store is 1/2 and 3/4...and I'd really prefer not to use 3/4, once again so I can maximize my cuft...thanks!

Negatives to 1/2" would be that it is more likely to flex under pressure. However if you brace the box internally and don't plan on using a sub that is too heavy or powerful you could probably get away with using 1/2". You should probably double up on the front baffle if you do go with 1/2".

Any chance of using fiberglass? If your this limited on space that you are considering thinner materials than fiberglass may be your ticket. It really isn't that hard to use either, just read up some things on here and other places and you should be good to go. Only downside would be if your enclosure has many large flat surfaces (this is the weak point of fiberglass.) Also how big of a woofer(s) are you planning on running in this enclosure and with how much power? A single lower powered sub would be able to work ok in a box made from less than 3/4" material. One more thing, working with 1/2 is a bit trickier than 3/4 at least to get screws in and such can be much harder.

Well I'm working with rockford P3 slimline subs...two 10's...I basically need to make it as slim as possible...and it's pretty much just a rectangle box.

Do you have extra room to gain volume by expanding the height or width of the box to maximize how thin it is? If you look at the manual on the kicker CVT they actually show how to cut out behind the speaker and put a metal plate across the outside of the box behind the sub to gain just that little bit more. You could try something similar to this, but I would recommend looking into some fiberglass and going that way, if you can build a box out of MDF you can build one out of fiberglass too

Well...yes, I do have room to expand the width and the height. Honestly, I don't really have any interest in messing with fiberglass again. I agree the finished product is fantastic, but the expense and the mess and the time is more than I'm ready to get involved with again. I don't want to be laying fiberglass and getting it on me in 95 degree heat...plus I've only done a couple glass boxes, the first was a complete bomb and the second was decent...but pretty much a lesson learned.

Then comes the bondo and sanding.

So in other words...I'd much rather just build it out of mdf...for my purposes it'll be much quicker and much easier and if I can get my numbers down just right it should be just as sufficient.

maybe use 1/2" all around but use 3/4" for the front baffle. or like someone else said double the front. but i dont see any reason for a 1" baffle. but it would probly be cheaper than buying two diff sheets

I've built plenty of enclosure's with 1/2" MDF and with no complaints what so ever.

And for what power those subs can handle rms given the xmax they have, 1/2" MDF will hold up just fine with the addition of bracing to it.

5/8 mdf is the minimun i would use... i think that 2 p3's on a 1/2 mdf box will make it flex a lot... go with 5/8 minimum... IMO

ok then...next question. Anyone know where I can get 5/8 mdf? None of the Lowes and Home Depot around here have it...
HD or Lowes may be able to order in the material for you, but, you might pay thru the nose for it. Try local lumber supply company's, they may stock it though I highly doubt so.

He!!, do this. Build the entire enclosure with 1/4" MDF and shoot it with a few coats of Duraliner, the d@mn enclosure will be indestructible or put a few layer of FG over it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.